Coal-trol Trouble, Combustion Fan Does Not Run

hockeyshadow
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Hyfire2

Post by hockeyshadow » Wed. Nov. 19, 2014 9:09 pm

About 3 week ago I acquired a used Leisure Line Hyfire 2, it's about 8 years old, I think. I've been using just one burner for now and everything was working great until tonight when the fire went out. A little trouble shooting and I have no combustion air, so I tried plugging in the other side combustion fan, no luck there either. If I plug them straight into an extension cord they fire right up.

So is there any chance of getting it to work or do I need a new coal-trol unit?

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Wed. Nov. 19, 2014 9:13 pm

My combustion fan on my Keystoker 90 with Coal-trol the combustion fan runs constantly. Is the combustion fan on your setup supposed to cycle. If it to runs constant than plugged in to an outlet should be fine.

hockeyshadow

Post by hockeyshadow » Wed. Nov. 19, 2014 9:23 pm

2001Sierra wrote:My combustion fan on my Keystoker 90 with Coal-trol the combustion fan runs constantly. Is the combustion fan on your setup supposed to cycle. If it to runs constant than plugged in to an outlet should be fine.
I assumed the combustion fan sped up or slowed down with the feed rate like the rest of the stove. Can I just run it full tilt all the time, for now anyway?

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Nov. 20, 2014 7:36 am

Yes you can run the combustion fan continously. That's how they worked before the coaltrol and other electronic control devices came out.

nwaelder
Verified Business Rep.

Post by nwaelder » Thu. Nov. 20, 2014 7:43 am

1) Go to SETUP and make sure that 'IGN' setting is set to 'N'.
2) Make sure that the thermostat cable is firmly snapped in on both the thermostat and the control module.
3) Give us a call…

Neil

hockeyshadow

Post by hockeyshadow » Thu. Nov. 20, 2014 8:50 pm

blrman07 wrote:Yes you can run the combustion fan continously. That's how they worked before the coaltrol and other electronic control devices came out.
Thanks for the info.......
nwaelder wrote:1) Go to SETUP and make sure that 'IGN' setting is set to 'N'.
2) Make sure that the thermostat cable is firmly snapped in on both the thermostat and the control module.
3) Give us a call…

Neil
OK, will do. I'm off tomorrow.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Nov. 21, 2014 5:57 pm

What neil said.

Also, make sure the blowers are plugged into the correct ports on the CoalTrol unit. But, yes, they should run continuously, so you could just plug them in directly.

I made switch boxes for both my blowers and stokers to run one or the other separately on my Hyfire.
Leisure Line Hyfire I

hockeyshadow

Post by hockeyshadow » Sat. Nov. 22, 2014 8:58 am

WNY wrote:What neil said.

Also, make sure the blowers are plugged into the correct ports on the CoalTrol unit. But, yes, they should run continuously, so you could just plug them in directly.
I talked with Neil Friday morning, he said it sounds like something in the control module failed. He gave me a few options which I'm still considering, I'm leaning towards buying an entirely new control module and keeping the old one mounted on the stove as a back-up. That's the nice thing about having two burners and only needing one, I basically have a back-up stove if I need it.
WNY wrote:What neil said.
I made switch boxes for both my blowers and stokers to run one or the other separately on my Hyfire.
Leisure Line Hyfire I
I'm still in the "crawl around on the floor and unplug the ones I'm not using" club. I knew keeping all those computer power cords was a good idea, Thanks!

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”