Leaving Coaltrol on MANFAN

tiogajoe
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 105 (sold)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Keystoker HFH 70/90
Other Heating: toyostove

Post by tiogajoe » Mon. Nov. 10, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi,

Just fired up our new keystoker 105 w 6" top vent. It seems to run alot quieter with the coaltrol running the convection blower at one speed consistantly. It also seems to keep the temp steady. Anyone else leave their fan set at one speed?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 10, 2014 5:31 pm

what setting are you using? or what % 0-99

I guess it depends on how warm your stove is, usually after a while if it's not burning too hot, it just blows cooler air. Everyone has their own personal favorites on the stove and settings with the coaltrol

I use the FEED (when you first start your stove) to get it burning hotter faster, it FEEDS it for 10mins and then I turn the ManFan up to like 40-50 or so, and let it run for while to heat up faster.

tiogajoe
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 105 (sold)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Keystoker HFH 70/90
Other Heating: toyostove

Post by tiogajoe » Mon. Nov. 10, 2014 6:29 pm

I was leaving it on 18 or so? it was not all that cold this past weekend. The stove is in a home we are building so we are only there for long weekends. The stove is in our living area so we try to keep the noise to a minimum. We had problems with a Keystoker 90 so our dealer suggested the 105. So far it seems to move the heat much better using the top vent. I have a 2 ft piece of stove pipe with a tee on top to help direct air flow. We are heating about 1900 sq ft. House is well insulated with blown in cellulose. This past summer I had the old side of the house redone with cellulose. So now the whole place should be nice and tight. This winter will tell? The keystoker 90 had a hard time keeping the place warm?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 10, 2014 7:53 pm

thats not too bad, just check the heat of the motor running that slow, sometimes they heat up if running TOO slow and can't cool themselves.

I can't remember what CoalTrol or Keystoker recommends for min. fan speed? I usually go about 30 as a min on mine on my hyfire. I only have a Standard Thermostat with the snap switch for the fan on the Keystoker. it's works pretty good after 14 years of service.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Mon. Nov. 10, 2014 9:51 pm

I am a nut when it comes to noise I do not like. What you are experiencing is the fans don't enjoy running at medium low speeds. They somewhat howl.
The problem would be resolved with either dc motors or PWM controlling speed. Pulse Width Modulation, these controllers are expensive so we probably will not see them. I think they are controlling the motor speed with a clipped wave form, like hitting the motor with electricity at various intervals. The motors can handle it but will be a little noisy. Hope this helps, you can PM if you want to speak more on the phone on my findings.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”