New Hitzer 30-95 Install

gjambor
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: RICE COAL/ nut coal
Other Heating: HEAT PUMP

Post by gjambor » Sat. Sep. 06, 2014 12:08 pm

I have a 50 year old masonry chimney, that used to have an oil burner hooked to it. I am converting it to the vent for my 30-95. The code official said I need the chimney "certified". No chimney guy is willing to do this unless we install a ss liner. I think this is bullshit, what can I do? I want to make it a legal installation that will be covered by my homeowners ins.
Thanks, George

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Sep. 06, 2014 1:04 pm

How come people don't put where they're from in their profiles?? Sure would make it easier to answer specific questions-- it is BS--$$$$--Fire code is now NATIONAL standards ( check your local codes, they SHOULD be the same)--try getting a sweep to check it out

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Sep. 06, 2014 4:34 pm

gjambor wrote:I want to make it a legal installation that will be covered by my homeowners ins.
Is it in you homeowners insurance that it wouldn't be??
Did you call and ask them?
Although, I'm not implying you should do that..
Last edited by Lightning on Sat. Sep. 06, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Sep. 06, 2014 5:13 pm

As long as the chimney is in good condition and drafts well, I would hook the stove up according to Hitzer's recommendations and enjoy the heat. There is no risk of a chimney fire from burning anthracite, so if it were me I wouldn't say a word to anyone.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Sep. 06, 2014 6:14 pm

AND, that would be the smart way:) If you're concerned, have a sweep run a brush up or down the chimney, or do it yourself. Having had an oil furnace it's probably just fine.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Sep. 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Who cares if its certified as long as you have insurance? If your insurance company wont insure you find another insurance company.

If thats a law there are a lot of law breakers

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Sep. 06, 2014 10:08 pm

I'm always dumfounded at all the worry that some folks have about their stove install or chimney being "certified" & worrying about insurance co. approval. When we moved in here in 2001,the living room ceiling was only 9" above the thimble, agent said that would not work,he got us info from the ins.co. as to what is acceptable,we jacked the ceiling up,tore out the one frame wall ,built a new wall with blocks & it was approved by the ins.co -- that was for a WOOD burning stove.If the chimney is in no danger of falling on your head & the oil burner smoke slid up & out of it OK,then coal gas should float right up to the ozone layer thru it as well. :idhitit: toothy

gjambor

Post by gjambor » Sat. Sep. 06, 2014 10:29 pm

Hi Fred, I live in Southern NJ about an hour and a half from those eastern Pa coal fields. I was not exactly sure what was required and what was the best way of going about installing my new stove. The chimney terminates in my basement, where the oil burner used to be. The last 3 years I had my Channing III hooked to it , heating the whole house., no permit , no problem. The draft was better than required , so I put an MPD in to control it. I burned alot of coal because the basement is as of now unfinished. I got the Hitzer for upstairs. (its a ranch house from the 60s) I want to cut into this same chimney that runs just outside my livingroom wall and in the garage. I had a mason look at the chimney, he saw no reason why I cant use it as is, and I agree with him. I just need to build my wall and floor protection and seal off the chimney in the basement. I do clean my own chimney. I actually hate to hire anyone to do anything to my house. I don't know it all, but I think I have some common sense. I'll figure it out, just needed to discus it with some people with alot more experience with burning coal. Eventually the Channing will be in my finished basement on the other end of the house where a new clay lined chimney was built.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sat. Sep. 06, 2014 10:37 pm

gjambor wrote:I have a 50 year old masonry chimney, that used to have an oil burner hooked to it. I am converting it to the vent for my 30-95. The code official said I need the chimney "certified". No chimney guy is willing to do this unless we install a ss liner. I think this is bullshit, what can I do? I want to make it a legal installation that will be covered by my homeowners ins.
Thanks, George
If you have a tile liner of the correct size in it now you are good.

I have a tile liner but its WAY too big to draft the stove in a safe manner, since my stove sits on a large masonry fireplace hearth.

So, I went with a AL429 6 in liner.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Sep. 07, 2014 7:02 am

scalabro wrote:If you have a tile liner of the correct size in it now you are good.

I have a tile liner but its WAY too big to draft the stove in a safe manner, since my stove sits on a large masonry fireplace hearth.

So, I went with a 6 in liner.
Does AL429 meet code with coal? All of the research I have done indicates it is explicitly not recommended or rated for coal. Every liner company I have visited recommends 316Ti for coal.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Sep. 07, 2014 7:24 am

lsayre wrote:
scalabro wrote:If you have a tile liner of the correct size in it now you are good.

So, I went with a 6 in liner.
Does AL429 meet code with coal? All of the research I have done indicates it is explicitly not recommended or rated for coal. Every liner company I have visited recommends 316Ti for coal.
That is true, some websites say its "not rated" for coal ...but not many people who have coal stoves run a Crawford base burner! ;)

Massachusetts code states the chimney has to be lined if using a setup like mine. It is...it has a tile liner so it meets code. But, since my setup/s have/had such "cold" exhaust temps, and I needed a "smaller" flue to vent safely, I did some research including communicating with Allegheney Ludlum. I felt using the most corrosion resistant steel available was the right choice for my particular install. The gas temps almost never go over 400* on initial startup. If they do it's for a very short time. Running temps in base mode average 150* or less. So I'm not worried about its structural integrity.

I clean it immediately after end of season and leave the clean out T cap off during the off season. So far, 3 years in, the sweep and visual inspection on my own, report excellent results.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Sep. 07, 2014 7:47 am

gjambor wrote: I had a mason look at the chimney, he saw no reason why I cant use it as is,
Sounds like it is "certified" based on the statement from the mason. I know from experience the Jersey township AHJ's can be a major pain in the azz, did he specifically say what he means by "certified"? Will he accept a letter from the mason? If so write one up for the mason and get him to sign it, it may cost you $50 or something but it sounds like it is worth it to get past this azzhat roadblock.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Sep. 07, 2014 7:53 am

titleist1 wrote:
gjambor wrote: I had a mason look at the chimney, he saw no reason why I cant use it as is,
Sounds like it is "certified" based on the statement from the mason.
Good point.

gjambor

Post by gjambor » Sun. Sep. 07, 2014 9:40 pm

Certain people in NJ are "certified" to certify a chimney > I think NJ was the prototype for the federal government's , bigger is better plan.

gjambor

Post by gjambor » Wed. Nov. 26, 2014 3:15 pm

Finally installed new Hitzer in livingroom , used old oil burner chimney which is chimney block and clay tile. works great ! here are some pics

Attachments

new hole in chimney.jpg

new hole in chimney

.JPG | 83.3KB | new hole in chimney.jpg
hearth back wall.jpg

1 inch roxul insulation then 1/2 inch micore 300 then cementboard

.JPG | 75.9KB | hearth back wall.jpg
thimble install.jpg

saf-t thimble

.JPG | 80.1KB | thimble install.jpg
hearth build.jpg

porcelain tile that looks like stone and thimble shield