Whole House Fan and Reversed Draft

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. May. 14, 2014 7:59 am

coalkirk wrote:
lsayre wrote:In fact, I'm questioning if even then it will be wise to run the whole house fan.
I think you answered your own question. Whole house fans and combustion appliances don't play nice together.
He could always install a second fan to pressurize the boiler room. :D I once talked to someone that did just that...he had a big hand fed boiler and burned bituminous coal. Smoke spilling out of the loading door was a problem, so he installed an exhaust fan backwards so it would pressurize the boiler room. He said it worked excellent, prevented any smoke spillage and really got the fire cooking after a reload.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. May. 14, 2014 12:34 pm

Looks like for the battle for the air, the fan won !

And your CO levels should have remained at zero .... I would be more worried about CO2 levels rising to lower the O2 content. Remember, our atm. is not 100% oxygen.

All is well .. looks like the small amt of sulfur (SOx after burning) in the coal helped you out. Your nose can detect this at < 1 ppm ... one of the few chemicals it can smell at such low levels (why? I don't know why we developed this ability ~ its not like we come across SOx that often).
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0575.pdf for some more information on sulfur dioxide...a neat little compound.

Thank your mother kids. Thanks mom.

oilman

Post by oilman » Thu. May. 15, 2014 7:12 pm

I use Field Control's Fan in the can for these types of situations. Works well. http://www.fieldcontrols.com

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”