SWG Install Question

Greyhound
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Lenox Oil HA, Heat Pump

Post by Greyhound » Sun. Feb. 03, 2008 12:44 am

Well, I picked up my "new" ( used) Baker Stove today and I am eagerly planning the install, which I hope to do with an SWG power vent. My issue is with the clearances necessary from windows, doors etc.

So, I was thinking of sacrificing (removing the glass & substituting sheet metal) a window and installing it there. That would give me all clearances needed. Does anyone see a problem with this approach?

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sun. Feb. 03, 2008 7:36 am

I have seen replacement basement windows made without glass and a dryer vent installed in a vinyl panel. It sounds like your going along these lines except with non flammable materials. I think thats a great idea :idea: if you do it in a way that it can be converted back without much problem, and I imagine you are, down the road if you want to move the stove elsewhere or even sell the house at some point you can put everything back the way it was and there is no trace of the stove ever being there. I can't think of a reason why you could not do it.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Feb. 03, 2008 7:41 am

i have two of my chimneys stuck thru old windows wit a piece of tin just as you describe......just make sure you have the proper clearances to combustibles

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Feb. 03, 2008 10:06 am

Hey Rick, congratulations on your purchase! Finally eh? :)

Installing the SWG in a window opening that has been replaced with metal is no problem as long as you seal it up well. More important though is the location of the vent with respect to the ground. It should be 7' up or at least above ground by 1' and not near any foot traffic. The SWG diagram online also shows the location with respect to other windows and openings.

My unit in the house is 7' up on a wall on the road side of the house, and when I walk out the front door (almost 50' linear ft around the corner) I can smell the coal burning depending on how the wind is blowing. The one on the garage is 13' up and I can smell that one as well depending on the wind.

Have fun with the install, I bet you can't wait to get some good, steady, inexpensive, coal heat in there. :D

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”