Failed Amtrol Extrol EX-30 < 6 Mos!

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Mon. May. 05, 2014 7:44 am

Part of the fun of open posting is expressing opposite views.
and much of the drama is for the OP to separate out what he likes and doesn't

Note to Larry : I didn't write you are wrong! :shock:

While most automotive type sealers fall into the rule posted above by Larry, R-6 is one of the few exceptions.
Its formula will not harm a system [ note to self: has not harmed anything I have correctly used it on] and the pump lube properties will help the system run smooth.
The added fact of the sealing quality - an insurance fund if you will - circulating all the time will pay back is less small leaks such as those pesky drips from globe valve packing. The sealer will also keep impellers clean but absolutely NOT plug a system [ when treated at the proper rates] . It doesn't have the O2 savaging elements of a true boiler treatment package, but the reaction of the sealer is to O2 exposure and in that, it will sacrifice some of its sealer . This turns into the crud you will find in the boiler mud legs. Wash it out occasionally, but understand that the fresh fill will need the o2 scavenged all over again.

Again you can over treat - This is where folks run into trouble- correct application will not mess your valves control's or traps - it will keep them clean - so a little is better than a lot.

R-6 is not bottled labeled or manufacture recommended for boiler use. PERIOD end of disclaimer!

Kind Regards
Sting

dnp

Post by dnp » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 10:25 am

Had an Amtrol EX-30 expansion tank develop a pinhole leak after just 20 months. Obviously a defective product / quality control problem. Tank covered by warranty but labor cost was 3X tank cost. Emailed and called (401-535-1418) Amtrol, no reply to request for coverage of labor cost. Will never buy anything from Amtrol again, they have serious quality contolr issues, don't stand behind their product, and are unresponsive to customers.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 10:46 am

That is one of the reasons I had a 15 gallon B+G steel compression tank and airtrol valve installed for my coal stoker boiler and my system operates at a very low pressure to heat my home.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 11:53 am

Amtrol it, would seem, would rather cut corners ($$$) on quality control and on customer service to then be able to pay ($$$) the corporate attorney's salary.

Somehow Taiwan, it seems, gets theirs right...

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”