Coal Silo

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 9:28 am

Not sure this is an issue but grain dust has been know to explode. I'd just be careful storing that much coal in a confined space. Make sure it's dry but also ventilated well.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 10:35 am

Once upon a time I stored and dispensed TL deliveries using gravity wagons. They work well; need a "roof" to keep the coal dry.

I never used an auger with one but IIRC Tractor Supply sells a (cheap) hopper that mounts outside the door on the chute, and functions as an adaptor for an auger. The wagon door still controls the flow; should be basically 0 spillage.

Mike

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 11:24 am

Phil May wrote:I am thinking about building a silo to hold a tt load. I was going to buy a hopper bottom feed bin. Problem #1 they are rated 40lb/cubic ft and the coal I have been getting is 50lb/cu ft. This coal stuff is like cocain. I have access to a couple old feul tanks gears are grinding now. What ever I come up with is going to be outside. I plan to get the coal in summer so the water can drain out all summer so it wont freeze up.
He is looking for a silo to hold a semi -trailer load,that much will not fit on 1 or 2 gravity bins, he wants it to be outside storage,gravity bins need a roof .His idea of a BIG fuel tank standing on end will work,he just has to create the right bottom outlet for it . A gravity bin might work for his inside bin.The above quote is from the original poster & it is his first post about this issue.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 1:45 pm

A smaller diameter grain bin will probably be fairly reasonable to purchase as most uses demand a big bin,sounds like a good way to go,just have to work out the bottom & the discharge method.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 2:17 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Phil May wrote:I am thinking about building a silo to hold a tt load. I was going to buy a hopper bottom feed bin. Problem #1 they are rated 40lb/cubic ft and the coal I have been getting is 50lb/cu ft. This coal stuff is like cocain. I have access to a couple old feul tanks gears are grinding now. What ever I come up with is going to be outside. I plan to get the coal in summer so the water can drain out all summer so it wont freeze up.
He is looking for a silo to hold a semi -trailer load,that much will not fit on 1 or 2 gravity bins, he wants it to be outside storage,gravity bins need a roof .His idea of a BIG fuel tank standing on end will work,he just has to create the right bottom outlet for it . A gravity bin might work for his inside bin.The above quote is from the original poster & it is his first post about this issue.
I saw that and I was responding to and extending the discussion in posts preceding mine. I considered a silo before settling on gravity wagons to hold TL deliveries. The ones I had held 5-8 tons each; it doesn't take a lot of them to hold a TL, and they're pretty handy.

Mike

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Feb. 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Scottscoaled wrote:Phil! You are way too funny!!! Hey not everyone has that kind of stuff :lol: How come you don't just park the dump truck over the auger. LMAO
I'd have to get a second wife !

Phil May
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 700
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Liesure Line
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Phil May » Tue. Feb. 25, 2014 5:49 pm

Scott cause I need the truck to haul all my money to the bank. I don't think I would ever consider a second wife. This old boy might learn slow but I still learn. You cant belive how fast coal freezes in the dump truck or trailer in winter. I am here to tell ya its a pain in the you know what to hammer frozen material out of a dump.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Feb. 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Phil May wrote:Scott cause I need the truck to haul all my money to the bank. I don't think I would ever consider a second wife. This old boy might learn slow but I still learn. You cant belive how fast coal freezes in the dump truck or trailer in winter. I am here to tell ya its a pain in the you know what to hammer frozen material out of a dump.
Ain't fun digging it out of a pickup either. BTDT once...........hope I never go through that again.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Tue. Feb. 25, 2014 8:09 pm

If ya picked it up in the summer, it doesn't freeze in the dump. :)

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Wed. Feb. 26, 2014 9:47 am

If you are looking for used tanks that could be converted into a silo, you may want to check with these guys.......

I hope this link works. It should be direct to their used tanks:

http://stores.ebay.com/Moses-B-Glick-LLC/TANKS-/_ ... 34.c0.m322

When I go to visit them, I'm like a kid in a candy store. They got so much chit there, you almost have to spend a day or 2 just to see what's there. But they do have all kinds of stuff. At least at the Fleetwood, PA location. I had to buy some paint storage cabinets a few years ago, they had tons of them to choose from.

Rick

Phil May
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 700
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Liesure Line
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Phil May » Wed. Feb. 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Thats the plan Scott. Let it drain all summer and fall. The new truck is legal with 25 ton in Pa. I am going to get a bin that will hold 1000cuft plus with the inside bin another 6-7 ton I should be able to make it 2-years.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”