Bad Idea?

PatLee
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: clayton
Other Heating: oil backup

Post by PatLee » Fri. Feb. 14, 2014 11:03 pm

New here. I run a Clayton furnace that is plumbed into my ductwork. On the top of my furnace sits the plenum. I have a register installed there to blow off some heat in my basement. I thought about mounting that register on a hinge so I can access the actual top of my firebox easily (inside the cabinet). What are your thoughts about setting a small pot of water in there. The water vapors would go into my ductwork and put some moisture back in the air. I can monitor my household humidity to make sure I'm not adding to much. My cabinet doesn't get hot enough to just set water on top. You guys know how dry the air gets heating with wood/coal. Thanks

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Feb. 15, 2014 3:58 am

Hmmm that's an interesting idea.. I'm not sure if vibration of the blowers or from shaking grates would cause it to move around. You would want to make sure it couldn't fall or spill since water hitting a hot fire box could reek some havoc. And you wouldn't want it to block air flow. Other than that, it might help. :)

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Feb. 15, 2014 4:24 am

I think it's a good idea, just make sure to use an all metal pan. It WILL go dry in a hurry!

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Sat. Feb. 15, 2014 6:01 am

I think it is a great idea! Here is a link to what mine looks like. Convert Wood/Coal Furnace to Natural Gas Hydro-Air Scroll down the post to see the picture of the homemade humidifier.

Although since you are firing wood and coal, I would option just for a on/off valve instead of using the float valve like pictured and fill it up twice a day. The higher heat will make the valve fail or at least it did on two of the valves I used. The valve even with my gas converted Clayton has failed again and will fail open. Not fun to come home to water dripping out of the bottom of the furnace and on the floor.

As for its performance, I was able to run at a lower temperature and the house feels much warmer. Sometimes, I'll even put some cinnamon sticks in the water to make the house smell good.

Overall a great project that you will be happy with! :D :idea:

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Feb. 15, 2014 7:10 am

Wow Doug!! You certainly got a lot going on there! Awesome!

PatLee

Post by PatLee » Sat. Feb. 15, 2014 10:39 am

I don't think vibration should be a problem. I just removed the factory blowers and installed a 3 speed 2 ton. Way more flow and quieter. I'm thinking something small and cast iron.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Feb. 15, 2014 3:28 pm

PatLee wrote:I don't think vibration should be a problem. I just removed the factory blowers and installed a 3 speed 2 ton. Way more flow and quieter. I'm thinking something small and cast iron.
Wow really!!?? I wanna see! Got pics? Did you have to modify the inlet to accommodate the new blower? What model and how much cost?

PatLee

Post by PatLee » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 1:02 am

Just had to make the inlet larger. I had an oem blower go bad and they are pretty pricey. So I took a blower off a oil furnace and hooked it up. I was wanting a little more flow through my house anyhow. I'm running it on low now, I may try medium/low, but I think it will cycle on/off quite a bit towards the end of a burn. Unfortunately I have no clue how to post pics, not much to see now because it's covered by a filter box. If anyone is in need of an extra Clayton blower I could make you a fair deal.

By the way how did you quote me ? I'm struggling a little w/ this forum. My pm' s never seem to work the first try either.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 9:16 am

PatLee wrote:By the way how did you quote me ? I'm struggling a little w/ this forum. My pm' s never seem to work the first try either.
Just hit the quote box in the upper right hand corner of someone's post. A reply window will open with the quoted text in it, then add your comment underneath it. You'll get the hang of it all.. :D

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”