Stove Pipe as Chimney?

This forum is for common products and questions such as chimney installations, CO detectors, coal bin designs and a variety of other general topics that do not fit into the other forums.
Harrygunz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman Magnum Stoker

Post Thu. Jan. 23, 2014 8:51 pm

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and have a few questions.

I'm sure this question has been answered on the forum somewhere but I couldn't find it. It may sound dumb to some but is it possible to use regular single wall black stove pipe as a chimney for my Harman mag stoker?? I currently live in town and not expecting to be here longer than another year or so , so a masonry chimney is out of the question. The stove was used and at a price I couldn't pass up (500 bucks), but now just looking for a cheap install to help with heating costs.

Also pondered on the idea of a power vent but don't know how that would work with the fumes and next house being only a couple feet away.

Any input would be great.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post Thu. Jan. 23, 2014 8:59 pm

No,No and a less than Casual "Hell No" ! Not even worth the risk My Friend! I want to see you make that year at your present place without burning it down or CO'n yourself out of existence. That pipe's only for getting to a thimble in a Masonry Chimney or Approved Insulated and Collared on Structure Pass-Through Metal Pipe Chimney or Power Venter Set Up. With the Neighbors so close in an Urban Setting,it sounds like a No Go. Be patient,find your new place and install that 500 Dollar Beauty into a Proper Chimney,My Friend! Thanx for Asking,and Welcome to the Coal Board! :up:
Remember,There's No Sight Like Anthracite !......Hambden Bob

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post Thu. Jan. 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Im afraid Bob is right... thats a 100% NO! Im not sure it would even draft (even if you did wish to take that kind of crazy risk :cry: )

I would keep your eyes on your local creigs list and search for a proper double walled stainless, I have a house in pembroke with a large run of it that has to come down (stuff is like new).
If you post your location id know if you were nearby.

Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post Thu. Jan. 23, 2014 10:04 pm

dcrane wrote:Im afraid Bob is right... thats a 100% NO! Im not sure it would even draft (even if you did wish to take that kind of crazy risk :cry: )

I would keep your eyes on your local creigs list and search for a proper double walled stainless, I have a house in pembroke with a large run of it that has to come down (stuff is like new).
If you post your location id know if you were nearby.
Insulated.
http://www.leisurelinestove.com

You know when people say it was "better back in my day"?

They were right.

Lightning
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size

Post Fri. Jan. 24, 2014 3:44 am

I used a stove pipe chimney for the first year I burned.. It was a nuisance to deal with. I took it down at least twice to flip it upside down, and then again to seal joints. It hardly lasted one winter and the following summer destroyed it :lol: ... I DO NOT recommend doing this. It was a good lesson learned. I had about $400.00 into it. Then realized my block chimney just needed a little TLC for the following winter..

Here's my stove pipe chimney adventure..

Stove Pipe Chimney Rescue

Harrygunz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman Magnum Stoker

Post Fri. Jan. 24, 2014 4:59 am

Thanks for the advice guys, I was afraid that would be the answer.

dcrane : I'm in Schuylkill county, about 20 minutes north of Pottsville.

Only other question I have is with the power vent system. Does one have to worry about the fumes being that it isn't traveling up a chimney and out into the open air. I talked to a guy at work that uses a direct vent on his reading and has it between his and the next house which is only 8 feet away, which is about the same as my scenario.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Fri. Jan. 24, 2014 7:43 am

Hg, take a trip to your buddy's house from work---seeing is 100% better then reading:)
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post Fri. Jan. 24, 2014 10:23 am

as usual ff u give the best and simple answer ..keep up the good work...B.B,

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post Fri. Jan. 24, 2014 11:24 am

No matter where you go,......there you are.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II), D.S. 1600 Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)

Post Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 11:44 am

Do it properly!! I've seen some very scary chimney set-ups, that worked. People in this one particular town are dirt poor. Not even going to describe any chimney set-ups. The residents lived in old run down houses, campers, busses, sheds, tar-paper shacks, you name it. Very poor........The only building in the whole town that looked great, was the high school. All marble front, well manicured landscaping, etc.. A school you would see in an upper middle class neighborhood. It looked like a palace. It wasn't long after doing some work in this town, the same town made the local news at my place (1-1/2 hours away). Said school wanted to raise taxes. :shock:

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”