How Come Dealers Don't ...

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Jan. 21, 2014 9:18 pm

Berlin wrote:If you make it sound more complicated, people will go another route.
Yep, pardon my bad attitude above, but this is what I'm talkin bout right here...

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Jan. 21, 2014 10:23 pm

Not to mention the liability of having to educate Ma and Pa Kettle about how to hook it up, read it, why it is necessary, etc. That is why Harman insists on dealers doing all the selling and INSTALLING! Cover you butt man!

Kevin

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 7:48 am

The question was way don't dealers sell a couple items that WE deem necessary, most of us have bought an automobile in our lives but does that mean we know what every part in the service dept. is, or did the service manager come out and explain what his test equipment does...a dealer could increase profit by having all the fittings, which are minimal and have printed information. A person buying a new coal stove should not be categorized as a mouth breathing, piece of straw chewing, incapable sloth. By default someone buying a coal appliance in order to stay warm AND save money is ahead of the curve and should be enlightened either by a simple display with information...and yes promoting this forum wouldn't hurt.
We make reference to the fact of keeping this our own dirty little secret but in reality we expend energy and time trying to convince many of our found warmth and savings.
I have been in many a stove shop in my life and most often during the heating season. Every time there is an alternative heating appliance pounding out the heat, various pipe, liners, caps, hearth pads, and cleaning tools for sale. All I am asking is why is there not a stove displayed or operating with a manometer attached and literature (I'M TAKING ABOUT ONE PIECE OF PAPER). If the reason is so the shop can sell the install and NOT actually educate the consumer you can all go you know where! When you empower a customer with the necessary information and tools they in turn will repeat their business or send people your way.
I noticed some people on this thread by their absence... if your response is greed I pity those, if you think people like me are stupid well never mind; remember we are our brothers keeper!

**no coal burners were injured in the typing of this response! :)

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 7:58 am

because dealers only want one thing -- to make the sale

adding "recommended" options takes added effort to make that sale ---- time is money

Dealers want fast and ez - then a line of victims waiting at the door so they can take the money and shout "NEXT"

Kind Regards
Sting

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 8:05 am

Dealers want fast and ez - then a line of victims waiting at the door so they can take the money and shout "NEXT"
Yes Sting, but dead customers are bad PR. At the funeral somebody has to scream "what does it matter at this point" and pound on the casket. Then they can run for President and forget it ever happened . Do you assume that gas devices looking for non existent combustion air in overtight homes are not death traps too.
Last edited by coalnewbie on Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 8:10 am

[quote="Sting"]because dealers only want one thing -- to make the sale

adding "recommended" options [u][b]takes added effort[/b] [/u]to make that sale ---- time is money

Kind Regards
Sting[/quote]

Maybe I'm blinded by the fact that I have never seen a line of folks with Ben Franklin's dropping in their wake at my local stove shop...usually the first thing I hear when I walk in is a squeaking office chair and a startled owner coming too.

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 8:27 am

coalnewbie wrote:Do you assume that gas devices looking for non existent combustion air in overtight homes are not death traps too.
nope - I strive to never "ASSume"

I would take my point to 99.9% of any dealer of any appliance or thing with wheels :P

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 8:37 am

[quote="Sting"]

Dealers want fast and ez - then a line of victims waiting at the door so they can take the money and shout "NEXT"[/quote]

Stove Nazi! Off with their heads! :P

vulcan
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker koker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby rear vent

Post by vulcan » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 8:41 am

Keystoker includes one co detector with a new coal stove purchase. I purchased two additional ones but I think it's a good start and there is no excuse for anyone that buys there stove new not to install at the least the one that is included with the purchase.

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 8:44 am

[quote="Berlin"]If you make it sound more complicated, people will go another route. They get away w/ pushing unnecessary chimney liners because the industry has done such a good job with propaganda on those.[/quote]

Well another route burnt down 3 homes in Maine yesterday, how many in your state? I know operator error.... :(

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 9:18 am

Man Dies - Clogged Coal Furnace CO Fumes

I guess this really bothered me :( there was an oppurtunity there that no one took so sad, sorry for the rant,... we have become detached from one another.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 9:20 am

Come to Fred's Fabulous Stove shop....every coal stove comes with free installation, a free Manometer, & two free CO detectors!

Huh? Oh, what's for breakfast? Am I still dreaming?

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 9:27 am

[quote="Freddy"]Come to Fred's Fabulous Stove shop....every coal stove comes with free installation, a free Manometer, & two free CO detectors!

Huh? Oh, what's for breakfast? Am I still dreaming?[/quote]

Based on some of the responses I'm thinking Stove shops should have a "Rusty Jones" neon sign in the window!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 9:33 am

Freddy wrote:Come to Fred's Fabulous Stove shop....every coal stove comes with free installation, a free Manometer, & two free CO detectors!

Huh? Oh, what's for breakfast? Am I still dreaming?

:lol:
It should be at least part of the dealers responsibility to offer some brief education about stove operation including the use of dampers, manometers and CO detectors... On the flip side of that, its OUR responsibility to educate ourselves before jumping into something :roll: .... I'm glad I found this site and researched extensively before moving forward.. :D

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 9:38 am

[quote="vulcan"]Keystoker includes one co detector with a new coal stove purchase. I purchased two additional ones but I think it's a good start and there is no excuse for anyone that buys there stove new not to install at the least the one that is included with the purchase.[/quote]

I'm sure they don't do it because they're nice guys, they want you to "be able to come back!

[quote="Freddy"]Come to Fred's Fabulous Stove shop....every coal stove comes with free installation, a free Manometer, & two free CO detectors!

Huh? Oh, what's for breakfast? Am I still dreaming?[/quote]

I never mentioned the word "free" just a little heads up that's all...it's not coincidence they sell chocolate dipping sauce next to the strawberries is it? :drool:

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”