Joint Seperation

Dirty Steve
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil- Off line

Post by Dirty Steve » Tue. Jan. 14, 2014 2:19 pm

Chimney is block. Solid core 4 inch thick x 8 inch wide x 16 long on edge. Two 8 x 8 clay flues side by side. Between second and third rows down from poured chimney cap the joint has sperated all the way around horizontally. Called the mason. He looked at it. 35 feet from ground to top. He said he has seen this before. With the poured cement cap the clay flues expand differenly than the block in the cold weather and cause a seperation. Warm weather fix of course. Have to use binoculars to see it well. I took some digital pictures but you have to zoom all the way in to see it. So sorry- no pictures. Bet it is lifted up to a 1/4 inch in places. Mason said he'll cut flues loose, chisle out old motar and repoint it. I asked many question how a water tight seal will be possible from this point forward. He had answers.

Any ever see this before?

Steve

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Jan. 14, 2014 2:40 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. horizontal cracking isn't great, but it's not much of an issue - if there's actual separation it will need to be sealed or rebuilt because it will continue to deteriorate over the years.

This is why you don't put flues tight to the chase. You use sill-seal around the tile going through the crown before it's poured - then cut off excess sil-seal once dry, caulk w/ polysulf or polyurethane caulk/sealant. I don't even pour crowns tight to the chase; reinforced crown sits on plastic sheet acting as bond/moisture break between crown and stack chase; underside of crown is caulked tight to stack chase after forms have been removed and the cure and seal has dried.

Dirty Steve
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil- Off line

Post by Dirty Steve » Tue. Jan. 14, 2014 2:51 pm

Berlin wrote:I wouldn't worry about it. horizontal cracking isn't great, but it's not much of an issue - if there's actual separation it will need to be sealed or rebuilt because it will continue to deteriorate over the years.

This is why you don't put flues tight to the chase. You use sill-seal around the tile going through the crown before it's poured - then cut off excess sil-seal once dry, caulk w/ polysulf or polyurethane caulk/sealant. I don't even pour crowns tight to the chase; reinforced crown sits on plastic sheet acting as bond/moisture break between crown and stack chase; underside of crown is caulked tight to stack chase after forms have been removed and the cure and seal has dried.
Berlin,

Super fast response, sir! Sill seal and caulk is what the mason recomended after cutting it loose. So, it should have been done that way in the first place.... :(

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Tue. Jan. 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Berlin wrote:I wouldn't worry about it. horizontal cracking isn't great, but it's not much of an issue - if there's actual separation it will need to be sealed or rebuilt because it will continue to deteriorate over the years.

Say Huh.jpg
.JPG | 11.8KB | Say Huh.jpg
I guess we know what Berlin does for a living :shock:

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Jan. 14, 2014 9:37 pm

dcrane wrote:

Say Huh.jpg
I guess we know what Berlin does for a living :shock:
Nope just a hobby :)

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”