How Well Will This Chimney Work?

mmcoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by mmcoal » Thu. Jan. 16, 2014 2:00 pm

I went 2' higher than my roof peak since it was with in 10' which was the requirement. My chimney is 22' tall uninsulated brick entirely outside the house and my draft is super strong in the cold and still has decent draft on mild days. Your setup could yield completely different results with draft, but not all chimneys entirely outside the house will have a poor draft issue.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Thu. Jan. 16, 2014 6:30 pm

When you put the brace in , try to incorporate something removable that is suported by the brace that will accommodate a platform to stand on for cleaning purposes. Probobly 3-4 feet down from the top.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Thu. Jan. 16, 2014 8:02 pm

waldo lemieux wrote:When you put the brace in , try to incorporate something removable that is suported by the brace that will accommodate a platform to stand on for cleaning purposes. Probobly 3-4 feet down from the top.
This is why I love this place. :up:

maurizziot

Post by maurizziot » Thu. Jan. 16, 2014 8:41 pm

The national Mechanical code requires a min 2' above a 10'-0 horizontal line to any point of a roof

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Thu. Jan. 16, 2014 9:32 pm

maurizziot wrote:The national Mechanical code requires a min 2' above a 10'-0 horizontal line to any point of a roof
Yes, that's true, but, as I mentioned, that is a minimum requirement, not a recommendation for good performance in almost all weather conditions. On new construction, I wouldn't recommend anything less than 4' above the highest peak.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Fri. Jan. 17, 2014 6:19 am

maurizziot wrote:The national Mechanical code requires a min 2' above a 10'-0 horizontal line to any point of a roof
Thanks for correcting me. I had the "10 foot" in my head, but forgot about the "2". (My old boss used to say "When you're stupid, you're stupid for a lonnnnng time". :)

Here's a pretty good pictorial for chimney height: http://craftchimneyservices.com/heights.php

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jan. 17, 2014 6:45 am

Hell, you had it right Freddy--yours was minimum suggested as most people around this area go with--BERLIN is is just saying being he's gonna be doin it anyway, 4' will be ideal :)

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Fri. Jan. 17, 2014 6:58 am

freetown fred wrote:Hell, you had it right Freddy--yours was minimum suggested as most people around this area go with--BERLIN is is just saying being he's gonna be doin it anyway, 4' will be ideal :)
exactly.

NorthernIndiana
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine #4 Basement with Hopper, DS Machine 1300 Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Forced Air LP Furnace

Post by NorthernIndiana » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Berlin wrote: tsb has given good advice, I've known many who wished for more flues, but none that have wished for less.
So true. I wish I had an extra flue in my current chimney.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”