Manual Pipe Dampers - A Matter of Perspective

kirtsy420
Hand Fed Coal Stove: alaska kodiak
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: clayton 1600
Coal Size/Type: rock coal. bituminous/ chest nut anthracite

Post by kirtsy420 » Tue. Jan. 21, 2020 5:04 pm

ill start writing it down. im getting 2400 pounds of coal saturday. as of now a baro was wasting me money and a mpd is saving me money so far. im gonna listen to the old men thats been burning coal for 60+ years. so far they havent steared me wrong yet. as long as my house is warm, safe, and aint wasting coal im happy lol. ive also heard alot of hvac guys say baro are for oil burners not coal but time will tell i guess

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Tue. Jan. 21, 2020 7:39 pm

Lee, thanks for the clarification. I was thinking the same thing regarding back draft from any exhaust fan. BTW ol budy, I'm willing to bet ya a hundred dollars to a hole in a doughnut, next time you see an elephant on netgo channel you're gonna think about my post & grin like hell!!!
Cheers
Jim

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Jan. 21, 2020 8:15 pm

Haha! Some interesting music could be made. Stir stick - piccolo, culvert pipe - tuba :lol:

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Feb. 03, 2020 11:02 pm

lsayre wrote:
Mon. Jan. 20, 2020 8:04 pm
A few years back I came close to buying a Hitzer stove from Lehman's Hardware since it had a really good mark down on it, and in talking over an install with them I inquired about an MPD, and they told me they were not permitted to install one on it. They also told me that by law they would need to put a metal liner into my terra-cota lined chimney else they could not connect the Hitzer to it. That ended the discussions.
Every salesman and sweep I have spoken to in person, and recently on some firewood burning forums, has given me that same “song and dance” about that so-called law just as soon as they find out I have a clay liner. See...they can’t make any money on a standard inspection, they have to find fault so they can push those level 2&3 inspections...and then you already know full well how many thousands the total bill will be. These codes have a place, but these guys use them to their advantage to make money. Just like a doctor or an attorney or an engineer the common man must trust he’s being told the truth. Workers trust engineers every day...and every day men still die in the job.

Even had a sweep admit that they use the codes to their advantage to make more money...he told me that just yesterday. In my mind I said, “ I knew it”!

Even had sweep on a firewood forum tell me recently that clay liners are not allowed in new construction. Hogwash!!! I see new homes built all the time with them. Last I checked, which has been in the last month (Dec. 2019), clay still passes and meets national fire code and it’s sold every day. I get so sick of these sweeps and salesman trying to hoodwink people with that hogwash. It’s total dishonesty and if one tries to feed me that hogwash I send them on their way.

Just had a young chimney sweep heckle me because he was worried what was behind my hearth wall after seeing a picture. He just took a darn fit over it after seeing that picture. Started talking about pyrolysis and asking if I knew what it was. I then ask him how that hearth worked for 40+ years with 500 degree wood stove stove 8” away from it and nothing had caught on fire, then I showed a picture of my coal stove idling in 25F weather and the wall was 96F and that goofball was worried about the wall getting too hot. Lol! What the heck has happened to common sense? Give these guys a title and a code book and all of a sudden they can’t think on their own. The “professional” (said loosely) just couldn’t get passed the fact that because I never told him what was behind that hearth wall that I should start drilling holes in it all over and even wanted me to tear it down. See...it’s that kind of BS that destroys their credibility with me. I don’t like them, and I don’t trust any of them as far as I could throw them.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”