KA6 With Too Much Draft.

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 1:37 pm

I'm wasting heat....I have a manometer and my ka6 runs around +8 for draft. It should be -.02. I literally screwed my barometric damper shut. Before that I was over 12. Its 8" from the boiler but necks to 7" through into the chimney and is a brick flue through the middle of the house....from the basement out through the center peak of the attic....probably near 30'. Any way to lower my draft aside from installing a damper in the pipe to wean it back?

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 1:48 pm

Whoa Big Fella! PLUS .8 or Minus .8???

Carbon12

Post by Carbon12 » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Damper reduces draft, not increases it. Where are you measuring the draft???

Carbon12

Post by Carbon12 » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 1:51 pm

What manometer are you using, what scale are you reading and which port is the hose plugged into??? Things MAY not be as bad as they seem!

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Its a Bacarat (sp?) And I'm using it through the door hole like the manual says. And its on the positive side of the scale. Never had a CO problem or anything. I'll take a pic when I get home.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 2:03 pm

BennyLumpkin wrote:Its a Bacarat (sp?) And I'm using it through the door hole like the manual says. And its on the positive side of the scale. Never had a CO problem or anything. I'll take a pic when I get home.
If it is truly positive you have a CO problem and a very dangerous situation. If it is running I would suggest going home right now and shutting it down. Serious!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 2:03 pm

So you are saying the firebox is pressurized? Have you tried closing the air shutter on the main combustion blower?

Please list how many tees and elbows are in the flue pipe.

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 2:14 pm

I'm smart enough to know there is an CO problem for several reasons. first one is there is a CO detector about 10 feet away from it and the other is this is the second winter I've had in there.there is a possibility I'm not reading the manometer correctly.

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 2:23 pm

Like I said, I'll post pics when I get home to make sure I'm reading it correctly.

Carbon12

Post by Carbon12 » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Roger that. We'll all be waiting! :D if this is your second season and it did the same thing last year and the CO detector works and never has gone off, things may not be great but they probably aren't horrible with your KA6.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 2:40 pm

BennyLumpkin wrote:I'm wasting heat....I have a manometer and my ka6 runs around +8 for draft. It should be -.02. I literally screwed my barometric damper shut. Before that I was over 12. Its 8" from the boiler but necks to 7" through into the chimney and is a brick flue through the middle of the house....from the basement out through the center peak of the attic....probably near 30'. Any way to lower my draft aside from installing a damper in the pipe to wean it back?
OK, you have your manometer hooked up backwards. Since you say you have too much draft, then it's .-08. you also are misunderstanding what a barometric damper does. It does not increase draft. (you've got it screwed shut) It reduces draft. Unscrew that pupppy and adjust it, once you correctly hookup your manometer, to .02. It sucks air in and reduces the draft in your firebox.

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 2:46 pm

I understand how the damper works. I'm more familiar with oil boilers and forced air. The type of manometer I'm using can't be backward. Its a one tube test unit. I'll post a pic. More than likely I'm reading it wrong

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Ok here is the unit I'm using.

I looked closer and now see I was reading it backward but I'm still around -.6. Adjusting the flapper changes it none and If I unscrew the damper it gets much higher or I guess you'd say lower....almost maxes the negative side. Here is a pic with the air flap about half and the damper screwed shut

Give me a few minutes and I'll post a pic with the damper unscrewed

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Well I just did some fiddling and now I realized I was reading it wrong its now reading here

Well now I feel silly lol.

BennyLumpkin

Post by BennyLumpkin » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 5:01 pm

My flame looks much better also. I'm sure I'll have some readjusting to do. As has been said before, the manual sucks. Since I'm good with my draft should I let my air shutter alone and just adjust my coal feed as needed? I haven't counted lately but its somewhere between 10 and 15 turns. I keep it at 2-3 inches of dead ash on the end of the grates.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”