Heating Basement From Living Space

Linc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Linc » Thu. Jan. 10, 2008 7:12 am

I know it is reverse of the normal thinking.. But has anyone tried to heat their basement with having there stoves in the livingroom above the basement? Is it feasible to blow the heat down? At minimal expense? Cold floors are my wifes biggest complaint.

My wife would like nothing better than to get the stove out of the livingroom but it wasn't feasible when we heated with wood. She doesn't do stairs very well.(Already fell down them once) Now with scoliosis and arthritis,stairs are less of an option for her. In time will get a new stove or furnace and have it located in the basement tied into the present ductwork. Burning coal,she won't have to worry about tending the fire.
Last edited by Linc on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed title, please don't use general titles.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Jan. 10, 2008 7:22 am

Can't say I've done it but adding a small duct with a constant run fan above the area where your stove is should work. Wouldn't cost you much to try. Probably take a few days before you get any benefit from it especially if its a large cellar.

upstate

Post by upstate » Thu. Jan. 10, 2008 10:22 am

I have my stove on the first floor and the basement hasnt dropped below 55. It has a stone foundation with no insulation anywhere and a bilco door. Heat seems to get down there.

JiminBucks

Post by JiminBucks » Thu. Jan. 10, 2008 11:45 am

Hey Linc, got a question. Do you have any insulation under the floors, between the living area and the basement? And do you what to heat the basement, or just keep the floor from getting cold?
If there's no insulation, any heat that 'goes down' is being lost to the cold basement'. :woot:
I found that my concrete floors downstairs will warm some , closer to the stove the better!
I'm assuming you have wood floors without carpet. If so, try some area rugs also!

Linc

Post by Linc » Thu. Jan. 10, 2008 3:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. My basement stays between 50-55* with out the propane furnace running. There is no insulation in the floor. I am mostly looking to warm the floor in the kitchen which adjoins the livingroom. There is an area rug in the kitchen but it doesn't help my wifes feet. If I keep the temp in the kitchen between 76-78* she says her feet are fine. Go figure. I can be bare foot and I don't bother me at all. She has hers all bundled up.

I may be better off going to Tractor Supply and get some of those electric heated mats for livestock to put down under the rug in the kitchen.LOL.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Thu. Jan. 10, 2008 4:06 pm

Have you tried buying her wool socks. I wear them skiing and am always toasty warm. Why doesn't she like the stove?

Linc

Post by Linc » Thu. Jan. 10, 2008 6:42 pm

She likes the heat from the stove but doesn't like the room that it takes up. She also likes the fact of switching to coal,bugs don't come in with the coal like they did with the firewood. She also likes not having to tend to the fire every few hours. But she would still prefer that it be down in the basement and give her more room for her stuff in the livingroom. This is a small house with a pretty poor layout.

She wears wool socks and shearling lined slippers. I think she's not happy unless she is complaining. :lol:

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”