Fumes From New Stove Pipe

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sat. Sep. 14, 2013 8:39 am

SMITTY wrote:I managed to turn my SS pipe to a nice shade of bronze after a trip up over 900° one day.
Looks like a panoramic landscape photo of hell taken from a geology textbook.
A mere 900 degrees did that? Same temperature as the inside of a self-cleaning oven.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Sep. 14, 2013 8:46 am

:lol: It's spent an entire season in my damp basement while loaded with flyash. It ate small holes thru it that you can see in the pic. :shock: About as close to hell for metal as you can get! :D

Yeah 900° in low light will give off a dull red glow. It's damn hot! According to my infared thermometer, metal just starts to glow around 860°.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Oct. 20, 2013 6:45 pm

No fumes or smell in the house today when I fired up the stove. :) I assembled new stovepipe in my garage, propped it up on a metal framework, set my propane torch on "incinerate", and spent ten minutes baking the outside of the pipe. Probably wouldn't take that long with a flame-spreader tip on the torch, but I don't have one.

I could see the shiny paint go dull when I hit it with the torch. Couldn't see any fumes being driven off -- I think they were immediately burned up in the propane flame. I did see some fumes from the inside surface coming out the ends of the pipe. But I didn't try to heat it enough to get rid of all those fumes, since they will just go up the chimney anyway.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”