Stainless Steel Liner or Thermocrete.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jul. 25, 2013 11:34 am

And when the smoke--no pun intended-- clears---that's the bottom line my friend--your chimney, your choice. All we can do on here is share our experience. :)

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Thu. Jul. 25, 2013 12:20 pm

freetown fred wrote:And when the smoke--no pun intended-- clears---that's the bottom line my friend--your chimney, your choice. All we can do on here is share our experience. :)
You can lead a camel to water but you can't make it drink it.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Thu. Jul. 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Most calls I get when I hear poor draft it is an non insulated liner. If you feel you must go with a liner at least get the insulated liner. I always prefer not going with one but everyone has there reasons.

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Thu. Jul. 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Funny thing happened. Took dog for walk and noticed someone working on my neighbors stone wall. Introduced myself and turns out he's a retired mason. Asked him if he would be interested in looking at my chimney and doing the thimble, patch, and repointing work. He said he'll come take a look when he's done with neighbors job. I'll keep you all posted. Talk about right place, right time.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Thu. Jul. 25, 2013 1:28 pm

There's NO reason to line that stack. The "reasons" your "chimney professional" gave you to line the stack demonstrate his complete ineptitude. This kind of ignorance wanton or otherwise is common with the "chimney professionals" because they only don't have an incentive to understand chimney's when throwing a liner in every stack makes them money. It's one thing to waste money on a liner that does nothing positive for you, it's worse to continue giving business to these peddlers of myths and nonsense.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jul. 25, 2013 2:34 pm

Nice DP--there's a lot of us old knowledgeable guys out here looking to supplement our SS--SOB's found my pot harvest last year. :bag: :clap: toothy
DePippo79 wrote:Funny thing happened. Took dog for walk and noticed someone working on my neighbors stone wall. Introduced myself and turns out he's a retired mason. Asked him if he would be interested in looking at my chimney and doing the thimble, patch, and repointing work. He said he'll come take a look when he's done with neighbors job. I'll keep you all posted. Talk about right place, right time.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jul. 25, 2013 6:15 pm

Berlin knows his stuff when it comes to chimneys. He helped advise me about mine and I'm very happy I listened. 8-)

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Thu. Jul. 25, 2013 8:42 pm

Im not reading through this whole thread so im probably re-iterating what others are surely screaming out to you... If your burning coal stick with the clay liner period! their is no lifetime warranty on a stainless liner!!! (they will force you to pay crazy money every year to have it cleaned, they will not include re-install or removal if it does fail, its 100% their discretion if they say "opps, sir we feel you burned a lil' chunk of coal or you used a firestarter log one time and that voids your warranty"). at any rate... their is no lifetime warranty for wood or coal (they lie because your going to pay for it one way or the other).

Stick with the clay and butter it up or repair it if you need (its your best and ironically your least expensive option :lol: would a thunk it :lol: !)

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Thu. Jul. 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Berlin wrote:There's NO reason to line that stack. The "reasons" your "chimney professional" gave you to line the stack demonstrate his complete ineptitude. This kind of ignorance wanton or otherwise is common with the "chimney professionals" because they only don't have an incentive to understand chimney's when throwing a liner in every stack makes them money. It's one thing to waste money on a liner that does nothing positive for you, it's worse to continue giving business to these peddlers of myths and nonsense.
truer words have never been spoken ^^^ Its fun seeing a Mod even more outspoken than me :lol: TY Berlin

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Fri. Jul. 26, 2013 10:26 am

Hey guys, good news. My neighbors mason can't work on there wall today because its raining so he's installing my thimble and cleanout as we speak. Good news in the kitchen too. Looks like the old stove hole was patched the right way. Think the plywood was just to support the cement while it set up. Also looks like the chimney was skim coated from the cellar floor to attic so I should be okay with any leaks. Glad I did my homework and thinks for all your help. One more headache over. Take care. Matt

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jul. 26, 2013 11:06 am

OUTSTANDING Matt-- :)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jul. 26, 2013 11:41 am

Sounds like it worked out well for everyone, and you kept your business close to home...nice!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jul. 26, 2013 3:23 pm

And the money you saved not getting the liner will probably buy nearly a whole years worth of coal lol

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Jul. 27, 2013 5:33 am

Another satisfied customer on the board!! :punk:

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Jul. 30, 2013 10:58 pm

freetown fred wrote:Nice DP--there's a lot of us old knowledgeable guys out here looking to supplement our SS--SOB's found my pot harvest last year. :bag: :clap: toothy
OOOops sorry was that yours. Damn. :D

And Matt, Glad it worked out for you. You will be much happier.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”