Suggestion: Computer Interface Module for Coal-Trol

bae388

Post by bae388 » Tue. Jul. 02, 2013 7:56 am

Is there a possibility that there will ever be a computer interface module developed for the coal-trol? Having the ability to create unique daily temperature schedules that vary from day to day would be ideal, as well as being able to remotely control the unit via the internet.

I love my coal-trol, but there's always room for more technology!

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Tue. Jul. 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Check out Highlander's setup Burning All Year Vs Electric DHW and Dehumidifier Already has a PLC in use. Easily add some ethernet/stratix to router. WHammo. super tech coal burnin

WNYRob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

Post by WNYRob » Sun. Jul. 07, 2013 10:01 am

Technology may not mix the best with coal stoves. Remember, they are slow to heat and slow to cool. Most would agree they actually burn more efficiently with very little manipulation of thermostat temperature. Being able to indefinitely change temperature settings throughout the day, or day to day will just contribute to your stove not running as efficiently as it could.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jul. 07, 2013 11:49 am

WNYRob wrote:Technology may not mix the best with coal stoves. Remember, they are slow to heat and slow to cool. Most would agree they actually burn more efficiently with very little manipulation of thermostat temperature. Being able to indefinitely change temperature settings throughout the day, or day to day will just contribute to your stove not running as efficiently as it could.
That's a good point.. I found that leaving it alone other than shake and reload made for the most efficient burn and consistent heat output.. 8-)

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Jul. 07, 2013 12:06 pm

WNYRob wrote: Remember, they are slow to heat and slow to cool.

Hence the reason for the coal trol, having an enormous fire going and no more call for heat is not efficient either. A standard thermostat can't anticipate that.

daveincny

Post by daveincny » Wed. Sep. 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Coal is very slow to adjust, which can sometimes lead to over or under heating when dealing with varying weather re-actively. With a computer interface, the weather conditions and forecast could be used to proactively adjust the fire, rather than re-actively, hopefully maintaining a more consistent room temperature and better efficiency.

The ability to tune for particular situations would be nice too. My stove is in my living room, which has large picture windows facing west. On winter days with clear skies, my room gets quite a bit of solar heating in the afternoon and early evening, causing the stove to drop to idle. That's fine, but when the sun sets, my room cools off mighty fast, and by the time the coal-trol and stove react, I usually have to tolerate an uncomfortably chilly room for an hour or two. I'd love to be able to somehow account for that rapid and predictable cool down.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Wed. Sep. 04, 2013 8:46 pm

There is a setting in the advanced menu of the coal-trol to handle a quicker response it is for heat loss. HLF is the setting, just go 1 value higher and run your stove for a week or so and decide whether it is enough. Mine is set to 1 I believe, because I frequently open the door to the garage which creates quite a draft, and cranky bride!

wefinish

Post by wefinish » Mon. Sep. 16, 2013 10:08 am

I've thought for years that an old iPod with an app for this purpose would only need a dock on the wall engaging it to the system. Wire the dock to the thermostatic controls and build in a temp sensor. Program your temp schedule and let the iPod access the outside meteorological data from the internet and whammo! A system with anticipation and the processing power to ramp demand appropriately.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”