Single Flue Inside House

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Fri. May. 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Looking at a 1 story ranch with a 8" x8" outside dimension rectangular tile single flue chimney that is located entirely inside the house, from basement floor to 3' above the peak . Interior of tile is 7" x7" square. The chimney has a hole in the basement with a cemented off hole on the 1st floor. I know that by code only one solid fuel appliance should be attached at any one time. That is not the issue..

Questions:

1) Given the same coal exhaust temp, does an interior chimney have less natural draft compared to an exterior chimney ?

2) Given the same coal exhaust temp, will there be more natural draft with a basement coal unit compared to a coal unit installed on the 1st floor ?

The chimney was used previously with wood in the basement. Inspection shows an excellent tile condition.

Thanks for the input...

Ug

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Fri. May. 10, 2013 4:18 pm

1 No

2 yes

Eric

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Fri. May. 10, 2013 4:44 pm

let me fix that for you :)
Coalfire wrote:1 No

2 no

Eric
an interior stack will draft better (all else being equal) than an exterior one - every time and is more consistant in varrying weather conditions. Because of the stack effect of the house itself, an appliance tends to draft better on the first floor than the basement.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. May. 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Basement or 1st floor would be the same draft. At least in my setting when my interior block chimney was up. I'm doubting a significant difference between interior or exterior chimney. My wood stove chimney (exterior) in the back was the same draw as the interior running through the house

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Fri. May. 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Berlin wrote:let me fix that for you :)
Coalfire wrote:1 No

2 no

Eric
an interior stack will draft better (all else being equal) than an exterior one - every time and is more consistant in varrying weather conditions. Because of the stack effect of the house itself, an appliance tends to draft better on the first floor than the basement.
Ok I thought that chimney height was one of the big factors in draft? you are saying the stack effect outweighs height. learn something every day

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. May. 10, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm no chimney expert but - It makes sense to me that an interior chimney will be kept warmer (since its inside the house) than an exterior chimney. This will keep the flue gases warmer which will keep a stronger and more consistent draft as compared to an external chimney. This is why many old homes have a central internal chimney. The old timers new their dung when it came to chimneys.

As for placement pertaining to basement or first floor of the appliance, It makes sense to me the basement placement would have better draft since the stack is vertically higher than a first floor appliance location. It also makes sense to me that this condition would apply the same whether the chimney is internal or external... BUT there are many variables - If the basement IS NOT well sealed from the living space above AND the basement is airtight from the outside, stack effect of the house could apply from air on the top level migrating up thru the ceiling or thru top story window seals causing low pressure in the basement which cannibalizes draft strength. Many influencing factors occur at these low negative pressures we rely on in the natural drafting strength of the chimney.

The science of Chimneys :lol:

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Fri. May. 10, 2013 8:14 pm

Stack Effect Equation Q= CA> 2gh/ Ti-To = 2x#> 1 the power of 2

Grrr, wheres Larry when ya need him :mad: :lol:

Berlin is right in that the chimney would naturally be warmer inside then outside therby allowing for a better initial draft (maybe you don't need to ball up a piece of paper to burn in the flu or hold a piece up the chimney in the fireplace before lighting the fire) but after the fire is going and the flu is hot the diff. is pretty pointless.

Lightning also confims that old time theory that the first floor drafts better is indeed because of factors lightning mentions " low pressure in the basement which cannibalizes draft strength"
Last edited by dcrane on Fri. May. 10, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. May. 10, 2013 8:17 pm

I've got an unlined decrepit interior chimney, and it drafts great even from the basement ... so you should be good to go Uggs. 8-)

It'll pull a .01 on a 90° day naturally.

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Sat. May. 11, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks Everybody..

Sounds like you guys are singing the same good info that it should be a good install.

Looks like a good place to get out of Mallocup, Connecticut.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. May. 11, 2013 2:00 pm

As you are probably aware just be sure to do a thorough inspection of the chimney. Check for blockages birds and squirrels like to make homes in them. It may need swept well if it previously was used for wood burning.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sat. May. 11, 2013 10:44 pm

You received some great advice. Chimneys work by at least 2 functions. Barometric difference for atmosphere and temperature differential. Simply put normally you have a lower pressure the higher you go and heat rises in a open system. Inside chimneys are normally the best.

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Sun. May. 12, 2013 6:38 am

Flyer5, I'm just plum excited about the future potential of another LL to my current collection.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. May. 12, 2013 8:48 am

freetown fred wrote:My wood stove chimney (exterior) in the back was the same draw as the interior running through the house
Hey Fred, did you ever try running the Hitzer on that other chimney? The reason I ask is that the woodstove would have a lot higher stack temperature, and would be more likely to keep the flue warm. My brother's chimney runs up the side of the home, and with a wood fire in the Hitzer it would suck the feathers off a crowbar...but with a proper coal fire, the draft is adequate at best.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. May. 12, 2013 9:12 am

Like stated so many times--each geographic setting is unique in itself--aside from the didactics--yes, I ran the Hitzer in the external block chimney while having the triple wall installed--about two months or so in the dead of my first winter burning coal--$$$$$ was the hold up LOL--I do not have a mano nor a baro, but I didn't notice any difference in either, or. I firmly believe that all these numbers/gadgets look pretty impressive but bottom line---the proof is in the pudding

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. May. 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Without a mano, its pretty hard to tell how one drafted compared to the other. But as long as the flue gases went up the chimney - yer good hahaha 8-)

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”