Piping for a Direct Vent.

ddersch4
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by ddersch4 » Thu. May. 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Looking for advice. Going to install a direct vent onto a Pioneer and was planning of coming straight out the back. When a guy who use to install stoves suggested coming out of the stove into a 90 to get past the hopper, than up about 30" were the damper would go. Another 90 after that and exiting the wall. Which way do guys usually hook them up.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Thu. May. 09, 2013 10:34 pm

ddersch4 wrote:Looking for advice. Going to install a direct vent onto a Pioneer and was planning of coming straight out the back. When a guy who use to install stoves suggested coming out of the stove into a 90 to get past the hopper, than up about 30" were the damper would go. Another 90 after that and exiting the wall. Which way do guys usually hook them up.
It will work either way. The new PV blowers are a little less prone to blocking but doing a vertical run before is not a bad idea. It does keep some fly ash from getting to the vent. You will see more ash in the outlet area which is easy to clean and check when emptying the ashes. It seems to work a little more efficient as well. Just my 2cents anyway.

ddersch4

Post by ddersch4 » Fri. May. 10, 2013 8:02 am

I guess keeping as mush flyash away from the power vent would cause less headaches. I seen a post were a guy put a manometer on his Keystoker. Is a manometer required or just a barometric damper good enough?

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. May. 11, 2013 7:59 am

ddersch4 wrote:I guess keeping as mush flyash away from the power vent would cause less headaches. I seen a post were a guy put a manometer on his Keystoker. Is a manometer required or just a barometric damper good enough?
EDIT! I removed my comments about using a borometric damper as it should not be used with a direct vent system. Samhill caugt it- thank goodnes!

No, a manometer is not required, but you should install at least one. The manometer is the gauge that will measure the draft that the direct vent is creating. A low manometer reading will notify you that it's time to clean the stove pipe of fly ash. Many operators install two manometers; one measuring over-fire draft and another one in the stove pipe. It's much safer to know what's going on with the draft when burning coal then to rely on the shutoff switch or the CO detector going off :shock:
Last edited by VigIIPeaBurner on Sat. May. 11, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ddersch4

Post by ddersch4 » Sat. May. 11, 2013 8:55 am

Any picture on were the manometers go. Will probably install one in the stove pipe, but not sure were to put it? Closer to the stove before the barometric damper or after the damper by the power vent.

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. May. 11, 2013 3:50 pm

ddersch4 wrote:Any picture on were the manometers go. Will probably install one in the stove pipe, but not sure were to put it? Closer to the stove before the barometric damper or after the damper by the power vent.
The search feature in the upper right (your right ;) ) will help locate threads for any topic. This thread, manometer install, is well developed with lots of ideas.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sat. May. 11, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm by far no expert but I was under the impression that you didn't want a damper on a direct vent, does anyone know for sure? Wouldn't the direct vent be trying to push the pressure past the damper instead of having a draft draw the damper open?

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. May. 11, 2013 5:38 pm

samhill wrote:I'm by far no expert but I was under the impression that you didn't want a damper on a direct vent, does anyone know for sure? Wouldn't the direct vent be trying to push the pressure past the damper instead of having a draft draw the damper open?
My bad :oops: I miss read tithe first post and thought it w about a power vent system.
Samhill is on the money - never use a barometric damper with a direct vent system. Direct vent systems must be sealed downstream from the blower. However, you should still continue thinking about installing at least one manometers.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Sat. May. 11, 2013 10:20 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:
samhill wrote:I'm by far no expert but I was under the impression that you didn't want a damper on a direct vent, does anyone know for sure? Wouldn't the direct vent be trying to push the pressure past the damper instead of having a draft draw the damper open?
My bad :oops: I miss read tithe first post and thought it w about a power vent system.
Samhill is on the money - never use a barometric damper with a direct vent system. Direct vent systems must be sealed downstream from the blower. However, you should still continue thinking about installing at least one manometers.
He is talking about a powervent system. We do not use a direct vent system. A lot has to do with what is mentioned about having a pressurized pipe. I just don't like the idea. A pipe with a vacuum just seems to make sense. And to answer yes you use a Baro with a PV system. With the baro there is a calibrated scale it is pretty accurate as long as it is installed plumb and level. So if you set it at -.04 and it is open just a little you will have -.04 between the baro and the stove so that the baro basically becomes the manometer.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sun. May. 12, 2013 7:28 am

Guess that's my mistake :oops: Flyer, I just went by the title & question asked & didn't want any dangerous info put out. ;)

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sun. May. 12, 2013 10:56 am

samhill wrote:Guess that's my mistake :oops: Flyer, I just went by the title & question asked & didn't want any dangerous info put out. ;)
That goes double for me too !

ddersch4

Post by ddersch4 » Mon. May. 13, 2013 11:15 am

Flyer5 should the baro always be open? Basically if the baro is closed than you should know the stove pipe does not have acquit negative pressure. Also, does Leisure Line have a minimum vertical requirement for the rear vent stoves?

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. May. 13, 2013 10:43 pm

ddersch4 wrote:Flyer5 should the baro always be open? Basically if the baro is closed than you should know the stove pipe does not have acquit negative pressure. Also, does Leisure Line have a minimum vertical requirement for the rear vent stoves?
Just a little with a powervent. Just a visible gauge.

Not sure what you mean by min vertical requirement? If for the pipe with a powervent, then no.

ddersch4

Post by ddersch4 » Fri. May. 24, 2013 10:32 am

Is a Barometric vent needed with a powervent? I would think the pull would always be constant since it is mechanical.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. May. 29, 2013 9:44 pm

ddersch4 wrote:Is a Barometric vent needed with a powervent? I would think the pull would always be constant since it is mechanical.
Yes a Baro is needed for steady draft control. Our pvs come with a baro and T.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”