1 Flue, 2 Fuels?

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 4:21 pm

So I am in the planning stages of purchasing and installing a coal boiler. The issue that I am running into seems to have been discussed many times over. I am hoping to run both my oil burner and coal boiler into my existing chimney. I've read that local code would never allow this and insurance companies would never pay a claim if something were to happen. I am one to do things by the books to cover my own tracks. So I contact my insurance company and their only concern is which device would be used for the primary heat. They did say that for a claim to be paid the devices in question would need to meet town codes, this is a no brainer. So I contacted my local building department inquiring about local codes. The inspector said there is no specific town code restricting the use of a single fuel burning device to a chimney. Our local town code reads "install devices as per manufacturers specifications". So unless the manufacturer states otherwise, installing multiple fuel burning devices into a single chimney is safe and legal in Brookhaven Town NY.

lewis

Post by lewis » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 4:41 pm

Berlin wrote:Unless it's fraud, insurance will insure you. Knowing it's not smart to smoke in bed, if you do it, fall asleep, and thusly light the house on fire, you will be covered. This is a common misconception about insurance, they WILL actually insure and cover just about any stupid thing you do which causes a loss.
You hit the nail on the head I'm a Pennsylvania licensed Public Insurance Adjuster and I'd love to see an Insurance company try to deny one of my clients claims on the flue / Fuel argument. It is the insurance company's responsibility to inspect before and during a policy. Calling them and informing them would be plain stupid and makes about as much sense as reporting adding cabinets a window or replacing a tar roof with a rubber or metal roof the coal appliance is an upgrade to your home. I have actually represented one wood burning and one Coal Burning claim along with 5 oil burner malfunctions in the last three years and LOL I did invoke the cigarette argument with that nasty ole wood burner.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 4:43 pm

Brookhaven ? :shock: That 'splains a lot ! :D

Just kidding.

However, . . :D my brother's late father-in-law was for many years (long ago) the fire coordinator for all of Brookhaven Town. Some of the things I've seen him do would make me think anything goes out there ! :D But at least it is quite possibly one of the few places left on LI where someone, from some level of government, is not sticking their nose in your face just about every time ya turn around. ;)

Paul

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 4:47 pm

lewis wrote:You hit the nail on the head I'm a Pennsylvania licensed Public Insurance Adjuster and I'd love to see an Insurance company try to deny one of my clients claims on the flue / Fuel argument. It is the insurance company's responsibility to inspect before and during a policy. Calling them and informing them would be plain stupid and makes about as much sense as reporting adding cabinets a window or replacing a tar roof with a rubber or metal roof the coal appliance is an upgrade to your home. I have actually represented one wood burning and one Coal Burning claim along with 5 oil burner malfunctions in the last three years and LOL I did invoke the cigarette argument with that nasty ole wood burner.
So let me make sure I understand this. If I install a stove, do a slather half assed job, paying no attention to code clearances or anything else for that matter, and it ends up burning my house down.. I will still be covered?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Lightning wrote:
lewis wrote:You hit the nail on the head I'm a Pennsylvania licensed Public Insurance Adjuster and I'd love to see an Insurance company try to deny one of my clients claims on the flue / Fuel argument. It is the insurance company's responsibility to inspect before and during a policy. Calling them and informing them would be plain stupid and makes about as much sense as reporting adding cabinets a window or replacing a tar roof with a rubber or metal roof the coal appliance is an upgrade to your home. I have actually represented one wood burning and one Coal Burning claim along with 5 oil burner malfunctions in the last three years and LOL I did invoke the cigarette argument with that nasty ole wood burner.
So let me make sure I understand this. If I install a stove, do a slather half assed job, paying no attention to code clearances or anything else for that matter, and it ends up burning my house down.. I will still be covered?
Lee,
In your hypothetical situation, are you going to be follow the manufacturers installation instructions ? :roll:

Paul

lewis

Post by lewis » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 5:01 pm

An insurance policy is a contract and both parties agree to bargain in good faith and as long as your intention was not to intentionally burn the house down the answer is YES your covered just like if your new roof leaked and damaged the ceiling or the new cabinet fell and cracked the tile floor. It wasn't intentional. Remember you shouldnt get in the door exhausted from a double shift at work take an ambien lay back on the couch and light a cigarette but it happens.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 5:02 pm

No, the instructions didn't come with it since I bought it second hand and just used my own 2 cents worth on the installation.
Sunny Boy wrote:In your hypothetical situation, are you going to be follow the manufacturers installation instructions ?

lewis

Post by lewis » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Lightning wrote:No, the instructions didn't come with it since I bought it second hand and just used my own 2 cents worth on the installation.
Haha I'd enlist the services of a Licensed Public Adjuster, that's why we exist because it would be very very easy for a company adjuster to railroad a guy like you into a denial based on your own misconceptions of the policy of insurance.

Attachments

napia-logo.gif
.GIF | 15.2KB | napia-logo.gif

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 5:24 pm

I'm sorry but I'm not up to speed on the insurance terminology. So yer saying yes, I would be covered in my above circumstances?

lewis

Post by lewis » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Lightning wrote:I'm sorry but I'm not up to speed on the insurance terminology. So yer saying yes, I would be covered in my above circumstances?
In my professional opinion and what you have told me if done to the best of your knowledge and ability YES !

lewis

Post by lewis » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 5:31 pm

Of course I would inspect the loss prior to filing the claim on your behalf to see if we would have a problem and advise you based on that inspection before submitting the claim.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Wow that's good information. Thank you! A lot of members here look for insurance advice. It's nice to have on board :D

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 6:29 pm

I'm glad also. Thank you.

I've been debating a similar situation and was putting off my final choice until I got my Oak stove restored.

I have a chimney at each end of my long living room. I'd prefer not to have to use the one for the fireplace because it's too big a flue size, it's on an outside north wall, and the draft is poor unless I keep a roaring fire going. Plus that would put the stove on a north wall also.

The other chimney is in the center of the house, but the oil burner is on that one too. I've measured the chimney flue square area and it is 50% larger then the two appliance's flues combined, so I've got capacity with a safe margin. And it will allow me to put the stove in the middle of the house where the heat will be better distributed because it's near three doors leading to other parts of the house.

And, the addition of this coal stove near the center of the house will mean I don't need the oil burner for make-up heat, so the odds of both being on at the same time are very slim.

Paul

lewis

Post by lewis » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 8:29 pm

Sorry I slipped off topic and got involved in the Insurance thing.

At my parents home they have operated an oil burner wood burner combo then switched to a Natural Gas Coal Combo on the same chimney for over 40 years Never a single problem. as a boy of 11 or 12 I remember clearly helping Dad cut the second hole in the chimney drilling out that damn circle with a masonry bit and a Black & Decker,, haha when your that age things like that seem to take forever.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Fri. Dec. 20, 2013 9:34 pm

You may be able to powervent the oil unit. Then use the chimney for the coal. That would probably be the safest route.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”