Fly Ash Is Radioactive?

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Dec. 21, 2007 11:40 am

I've quit all the bad stuff except alcohol and tobacco. Once I stop them I'm sure I will either be struck by lightning while installing the lightning rods on the roof or a meteor will crash through the roof of the house and strike me dead while I am writing a post on this forum. :bang:

Rex

Post by Rex » Fri. Dec. 21, 2007 1:17 pm

I like what the first article says from Scientific America Magazine regarding the radioactive ash.

"individuals living near coal-fired installations are exposed to a maximum of 1.9 millirems of fly ash radiation yearly."

"the average person encounters 360 millirems of annual "background radiation" from natural and man-made sources, including substances in Earth's crust, cosmic rays, residue from nuclear tests and smoke detectors."

""Other risks like being hit by lightning," he adds, "are three or four times greater than radiation-induced health effects from coal plants."

Its good to know I can sleep at night while my nuclear powered coal stove is running.

U235a4

Post by U235a4 » Fri. Dec. 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Rex wrote:Its good to know I can sleep at night while my nuclear powered coal stove is running.
It's funny you say this because last year when I was having a lot of temperature control problems on my AA my parents dubbed it the Nuclear reactor and it has stuck since. One time talking to them they asked how the boiler did that night and I replied "well the boiler had a nuclear meltdown again and went to steam" of course those problems are long since gone now but they weren't funny then either.

europachris

Post by europachris » Fri. Dec. 21, 2007 3:54 pm

U235a4 wrote:It's funny you say this because last year when I was having a lot of temperature control problems on my AA my parents dubbed it the Nuclear reactor and it has stuck since. One time talking to them they asked how the boiler did that night and I replied "well the boiler had a nuclear meltdown again and went to steam" of course those problems are long since gone now but they weren't funny then either.
Hence your user name for the forum here?

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Fri. Dec. 21, 2007 4:00 pm

europachris wrote: Hence your user name for the forum here?
My guess is # 235 advanced group riding a Honda F4?

spc

Post by spc » Fri. Dec. 21, 2007 4:08 pm

Just watched Dirty Jobs, charcoal making epasode. Mike Rowe said it was his dirtiest job of 2005. I know it charcoal. Below is a clip.

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Fri. Dec. 21, 2007 4:10 pm

A buddy who lost his battle with prostate cancer this past year. A racer...pretty good one too from what I'm told.

Rex

Post by Rex » Fri. Dec. 21, 2007 8:30 pm

U235a4

Post by U235a4 » Fri. Dec. 21, 2007 8:41 pm

Matthaus wrote:
europachris wrote: Hence your user name for the forum here?
My guess is # 235 advanced group riding a Honda F4?
your both right, in my early internet day of BBS and IRC U235a4 was for Uranium 235 Alpha 4, then when I started bike racing the 235 carried over, BTW the bikes are a 04 zx6r and a 04 honda 1000rr which I'm going to make a bike thread later.
Last edited by U235a4 on Fri. Dec. 21, 2007 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

europachris

Post by europachris » Fri. Dec. 21, 2007 8:57 pm

Dang, Matt, we're good, eh?

Now if we could only get rich......somehow rebuilding stokers isn't going to be our retirement nest egg......

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Fri. Dec. 21, 2007 10:30 pm

Rex wrote:Time to put this subject to rest.

http://greenwood.cr.usgs.gov/energy/factshts/163- ... 63-97.html
can't argue with that!

You know, kind of off topic, but they use windmills to generate electricity in my neck of the woods. People complain. Signs say "NO WIND". They complain about hydroelectric, they complain about coal, they complain about nuclear. The same people don't wear leather because it is "cruel" I guess they would rather see the carcass wasted. How much oil does it take to make synthetic clothes. It's just sensationalism which probably originated as a news story. News is a profitable item, and stories that contain a smidgen of truth are drummed up into a moral panic to sell, sell, sell. Ok I'm done

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Fri. Dec. 21, 2007 11:13 pm

europachris wrote:Dang, Matt, we're good, eh?

Now if we could only get rich......somehow rebuilding stokers isn't going to be our retirement nest egg......
You were actually the more correct sir. :lol: On the rebuilding stokers thing, well I guess if I don't go broke I should consider myself lucky! :P :roll:

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”