To Baro or Not to Baro?

gambler

Post by gambler » Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 10:42 pm

you should be taking the flue gas temp before the baro not after.

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 11:25 pm

Ok gambler, educate me. I only use it as a reference point in relationship to my heat output and burn efficiency.

gambler

Post by gambler » Thu. Dec. 20, 2007 7:43 am

If you did not have the baro installed last year and were seeing temps of about 300 degrees and now with the baro installed and your thermometer taking the reading above the baro you are measuring flue gas that is diluted with cool air from your house. The flue gas after the baro runs much cooler than the flue gas before the baro. If you are trying to compare it to flue temps from years past you are comparing apples to oranges. Move your thermometer below the baro.

gambler

Post by gambler » Thu. Dec. 20, 2007 10:09 am

Cap on Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:42 pm
I don't get it. Why are everybody's stack temps so high burning coal?

I use a good quality Ashcroft 5" dial with a 4" probe threaded into the stack pipe. So I know I am sensing flue gas temps which are ALWAYS 140F to 160F. Even lower when I have the damper cranked in.
Cap, taking the temp reading above the baro is probably why you see such low temps.
coaledsweat on Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:24 am
I lose about 100* in the stack after the baro even when closed.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Thu. Dec. 20, 2007 12:13 pm

Cap, you have the weight on the wrong side. Take a look and it should say "H" or horizontal or "V" for vertical, I have the same damper and for a vertical installation which you have the weight should be on the right. Minimum draft for hand fired is .06, so if you set the draft for .06-.08 which will be near the end of the slot you are good.

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Thu. Dec. 20, 2007 1:27 pm

I've missed two improperly installed baro dampers in the pictures! ?? I must be losing it. Cap's isn't mounted with the pivot axis level, either.
Last edited by Dallas on Thu. Dec. 20, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cap

Post by Cap » Thu. Dec. 20, 2007 5:56 pm

E.Alleg, yes, I just changed the weight to the right side. I missed it when I set it up. Maybe this will solve my problem? Thanks for noticing.

Rick, I was referring to the heat accumulator temperature. The 2nd image reading 215F. The most I can get with the baro (before the weight change as noted above) was 220F. Without the baro, I can climb higher in heat output to the living area..

My stack temps, always have lower temps than most other units. This Harman is very efficient in regards to capturing as much heat as possible before sending the flue gas up the pipe.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Dec. 20, 2007 7:45 pm

Mark, your stack temp measured up above the Baro will be probably 100* cooler than measured below the baro. Unless you are measuring it with the baro covered in tin foil.

Greg

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Dec. 20, 2007 8:39 pm

Now you guys got me wondering... I have some digital Temp. Probes I put INSIDE the pipe thru the screw holes.

I do have one for the Stack Temp just before the Chimney as indicated by the 178.5 Deg., I like to know how hot the flue gas going up the chimney, even really running hot (Front of stove around 400-450), it only gets 225-240.

I put another coming out of the stove pipe before the Baro approx. 3 feet down and 18" from the stove.

The Outside Temps are around 32 deg. The baro is CLOSED

Here's the results, the stove is basically on idle right now, it's plenty warm in the living room.
That's a 57 Deg. Difference in only 5 feet of pipe with the baro. : )

I will check the new results once it gets colder and draws more and running a bit hotter.

Attachments

hyfire.jpg
.JPG | 32.2KB | hyfire.jpg

Cap

Post by Cap » Thu. Dec. 20, 2007 8:47 pm

Greg--You are on the mark once again, ( Rick too ). I just checked my log from last winter. My stack temps were relative to the hot air output with a steady increase as the heat output would rise. For example, 24F ambient at 0600hrs on 12/10/06. Hot air 200F, stack 290F. 12/11/06 @ 0600hrs, 35F ambient, hot air 132F, stack 160F. 12/20/06, 25F ambient, hot air 185F, stack 250F.

I think I'll move the thermometer this Sat. JC told me the deep mined coal burns hotter but this is the first time I compared notes from the strip mine coal I used the last 4 years. Deep mine is solid 35F-40F warmer temps.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Dec. 20, 2007 9:12 pm

Cap wrote:Greg--You are on the mark once again, ( Rick too ). I just checked my log from last winter. My stack temps were relative to the hot air output with a steady increase as the heat output would rise. For example, 24F ambient at 0600hrs on 12/10/06. Hot air 200F, stack 290F. 12/11/06 @ 0600hrs, 35F ambient, hot air 132F, stack 160F. 12/20/06, 25F ambient, hot air 185F, stack 250F.

I think I'll move the thermometer this Sat. JC told me the deep mined coal burns hotter but this is the first time I compared notes from the strip mine coal I used the last 4 years. Deep mine is solid 35F-40F warmer temps.

And I also told you to move or put another thermometer below your baro My outside pipe temps are 150 f to 170 f Now my inside pipe with a Probe thermometer below the baro Temps are 450 f to 475 f The air Temps are 275f to 325f depending how hot I am Running the stove The inside flue temps can hit 1100F when I open the ash door I see you moved the weight on your baro to the correct side did you put a level on it to make sure the pivot points are level By the way I told you so about the Deep mine coal Vs strip coal ;)

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Dec. 20, 2007 9:15 pm

Sorry Mark, I missed the weight being on the wrong side as well.

John

Cap

Post by Cap » Thu. Dec. 20, 2007 10:20 pm

JC, The baro is level, the camera was cocked. :lol: Actually its such a tight connection when I installed it, I quit trying to make it perfect. I nearly busted the the baro when installed this season trying make it level.

But with the weight moved to the right, it seems to be holding closed more than with the weight on the left side. I'll know more in the morning. My eyesight ain't what it used to be. I never would of missed that 5 years ago. I need readers for any work I do up close. It's depressing. :x

What new topic can we talk about for the next two days?

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Dec. 20, 2007 10:47 pm

Cap wrote:JC, The baro is level, the camera was cocked. :lol: Actually its such a tight connection when I installed it, I quit trying to make it perfect. I nearly busted the the baro when installed this season trying make it level.

But with the weight moved to the right, it seems to be holding closed more than with the weight on the left side. I'll know more in the morning. My eyesight ain't what it used to be. I never would of missed that 5 years ago. I need readers for any work I do up close. It's depressing. :x

What new topic can we talk about for the next two days?
I also seen your Photo of your baro and wanted to tell you
about the weight but one of the kids needed me so I did not have time to let you know before other did anyway what ever you would like to talk about fire away How's work going you can Pm me to let me know about that :lol: Talk to you later
keep that Sf 250 cranked up keep warm see ya ;) P.S. I know what you mean about the eyes I am starting to have problems to :(

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Dec. 21, 2007 8:50 am

Mark,
Please let me know how the stove is burning with the weight in the other position. As far as glasses, I had to start wearing them for reading about 7 years ago, I've now "graduated" to (this is terrible) bifocals, because things a few feet away were getting fuzzy. It is depressing. At least I have the no line progressive lenses so I don't look like someones grandfather. And then there's the gray hair...and the twinges of arthur-itis.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”