Powervent Speed and the Baro

marcam

Post by marcam » Sun. Feb. 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi all,

I've dug on the forum for answers but I'm not finding anything close enough to my situation, so here goes.
Specs
1) Stove: LL Pioneer bottom vent
2) Manometer permanently mounted between stove and baro
3) Baro set to .04 on the horizontal scale.
4) SWG PV with rheostat

questions
1) When setting the PV speed. I got the stove up to full tilt, full bed of glowing hot coal (quite hot). I was told to dial the PV up/down until the baro was barely fluttering. What is this? this open at the bottom of the baro 1", 1/2", etc.?
2) What is the acceptable draft range that won't kill my family? .04 to .06? .03-.06?
3) I tried this: Had a full bed of coals, stove is crankin', and I used the rheostat (pot?) to dial in .04 on the manometer. Problem was, the PV seems to speed up significantly when dialing this unit up, just fine adjustments can cause big speed swings.
4) I was told, that during a full burn, the baro would be slightly fluttering, but on low burn, the baro would be open more. What I found was, when I set the PV to just a flutter at full burn, during lighter burns, the baro is still just fluttering.
5) What has been your typical stack temps? Since I've been monkeying around, the stack temps have gone up. Not to the point that would be super hot, but much hotter than before (because I was seriously over drafting through the baro).
6) What's the micro adjust inside the rheostat of the PV for?

Thank you for your time. Have a good night.
Scott

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Sun. Feb. 03, 2013 10:59 pm

marcam wrote:Hi all,

I've dug on the forum for answers but I'm not finding anything close enough to my situation, so here goes.
Specs
1) Stove: LL Pioneer bottom vent
2) Manometer permanently mounted between stove and baro
3) Baro set to .04 on the horizontal scale.
4) SWG PV with rheostat

questions
1) When setting the PV speed. I got the stove up to full tilt, full bed of glowing hot coal (quite hot). I was told to dial the PV up/down until the baro was barely fluttering. What is this? this open at the bottom of the baro 1", 1/2", etc.?
2) What is the acceptable draft range that won't kill my family? .04 to .06? .03-.06?
3) I tried this: Had a full bed of coals, stove is crankin', and I used the rheostat (pot?) to dial in .04 on the manometer. Problem was, the PV seems to speed up significantly when dialing this unit up, just fine adjustments can cause big speed swings.
4) I was told, that during a full burn, the baro would be slightly fluttering, but on low burn, the baro would be open more. What I found was, when I set the PV to just a flutter at full burn, during lighter burns, the baro is still just fluttering.
5) What has been your typical stack temps? Since I've been monkeying around, the stack temps have gone up. Not to the point that would be super hot, but much hotter than before (because I was seriously over drafting through the baro).
6) What's the micro adjust inside the rheostat of the PV for?

Thank you for your time. Have a good night.
Scott
Scott,

Once you have the baro set to .04 you then increase the speed of the PV to get the baro to open about 1/4 way.. That should be all the adjustment you need to make. Keep watching the manometer. If the reading drops below .04 increase the speed of the PV. The baro is there to limit the amount of draft. If a gust of wind would blow past the outside of the PV thereby increasing the speed of the PV, the baro should open farther.

Full burn on these stoves is where the hot coals are just about dropping off the grate into the ash pan. You should have the feed set to where there is about 1" of ash left on the grate. At lower fire, the baro may close off some more as less heat is being created.

The micro adjustment on the PV control is for those instances where you cannot dial down the PV enough.

If you have any other questions, call LL tomorrow. They will answer the phone and give you more detailed info.

Rick

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”