Dumb Question From Newby...What's a Clinker? Thanks

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Jan. 26, 2013 8:19 am

nikonmom, Before going to the expense of lining your chimney or getting someone to build a new chimney, contact a chimney sweep and have them clean and inspect your existing chimney. Cleaning and inspection usually runs in the $100 or so range. If you want it a video inspection that may be a bit more.

It may just turn out that your existing chimney is good to go and you don't have to do anything else.

I recommend you get someone to clean and look first.

Rev. Larry

nikonmom

Post by nikonmom » Sat. Jan. 26, 2013 12:57 pm

thanks, just got the stove home, the welder backed out of welding the door due to "liability" so I am depressed. Any welders out there in cyber Maine?

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 7:22 am

I may have missed it but what door are you talking about getting welded?

nikonmom

Post by nikonmom » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 9:42 am

Ash pan door, broke right off

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 4:54 pm

If what you have is a Smith Anthony Hub Oak stove I would assume your talking about the ash pan door hinges which are cast in as part of the stove?

If so the stove is cast iron and it takes some pretty sophisticated welding to get it done correctly. Not everyone has the expertise to successfully weld/braze cast iron.

You may find it easier to hire someone to fabricate a piece to bolt into the stove body to replace the cast hinge lugs on the stove body. This is assuming that what your talking about is the lugs on the stove body and not on the ash door itself.

I have little to no experience with cast iron welding except to know enough to stay away from it.

If you can upload a photo of the offending area more might be able to chime in with some ideas. Otherwise we are just shooting in the dark, literally.

Rev. Larry

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”