Auger/Gravity Coal Bin

Jim from Macungie

Post by Jim from Macungie » Sat. Nov. 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi. I designed, built and posted my AAGF coal bin on this site last year. Now, going into my second season, I wish to comment on the design and what I would do differently. If I had to do again, instead of (for the conditions at my house) lifting the coal bin 3ft off the ground, I would have used a second auger to take it into the house. My labor was free but given the cost of the footer, backhoe and block I could have bought a second auger. Then, being only about 14” of the ground, I think I would have blocked it up on chimney blocks, added capacity to the bin and angled the bottom. I would have cut a second auger down to carry the coal into the basement and then letting gravity slide the coal into the hopper. Just wanted to share my thoughts. Other than that I am pleased with the system. Thanks for checking it out. Coal is cool. Jim

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Nov. 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi Jim! Nice to see you back around :D I think your coal system rocks! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on design alternatives.

Jim from Macungie

Post by Jim from Macungie » Sat. Nov. 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi Folks. I have been getting a lot of questions about how the coal enters the auger. I have attached four pictures. In the first pic you can see the four holes and the closing gates. Note the rods going out the right side, these are how I open and close the holes to the auger. The second pic shows the holes in the auger tube that line up with the holes in the bottom of the bin. Pic three shows two of the holes, one closed. Pic four shows the tool to open the gates. It is a piece of hefty pipe with a chain welded to it. Hitting outward, the chain tugs the pipe and opens the gate, only about a 5” throw. If I need to close the gate I use that pipe to tap it shut. With my bin FULL, there appears to be too much weight on the auger if all four holes are open so I only open one at a time. Being able to close the holes is important if there was a problem or like in spring when I pulled the auger out to clean it for the summer. I hope this info helped. Coal is cool. Jim

Attachments

au1.JPG
.JPG | 143.5KB | au1.JPG
au2.JPG
.JPG | 198.9KB | au2.JPG
au3.JPG
.JPG | 127.3KB | au3.JPG
au4.JPG
.JPG | 129.6KB | au4.JPG

Leadslingingdaddy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Dual Stoker 140
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Leadslingingdaddy » Sun. Dec. 01, 2013 10:10 am

Just an outstanding job! :-)

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Dec. 10, 2013 7:44 pm

VERY NICE!!! You have my wheels turning now.....

Jim from Macungie

Post by Jim from Macungie » Fri. Nov. 28, 2014 7:41 am

Hi Folks. I still enjoy this site, there is always good stuff here. This is my third year burning coal, I love the money I save. I want to comment on my AAGF coal bin. A few people asked me about the weight of the coal on the auger stalling the motor. YES, if all 4 holes going to the auger are all open at the same time it will stall the motor. I am using a 3/4 HP motor. I open the back gate (hole) first and just open them up one at a time as it empties. Coal is cool. :o} Jim

mcguirehg
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by mcguirehg » Tue. Sep. 11, 2018 11:42 pm

Jim,

Nice set up! I was using a coal vac,but the dust was a mess. Can you let me know the auger you used and how much I should expect to pay for one. My coal is in an outside shed so I’m trying to see if it practical to use and auger and gravity to get the coal into the basement? I started a thread on it...feel free to comment.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”