This is a bit off topic, but I figured that this is the best place to ask. My house has a fireplace in the living room that I have never used. The kids were always a bit too young for me to have it lit. They're older now and I figure they can stay away from it. I looked up the chimney today and it appears to be very clean. There's a little dried up, powdery creosote (I'm assuming it's creosote) but not so much that it makes me nervous. I can see the liner and, after looking at some pics of really bad and neglected chimneys, it's really clean.
However, I did notice that it looks like the liner isn't flush with the top of the firebox. Hard to explain, so I grabbed a pic. Right in the middle is what I mean (where the spiderweb is.)
It hasn't been used in over ten years. Before I torch my house, any opinions on it's safety? Anything jump out at anyone?
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 1066
- Joined: Sun. Oct. 30, 2011 5:44 pm
- Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
- Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size
- Location: Pottstown,Pa
It looks clean,if you can get a mirrow and look up the chimney or if it's easy to get on the roof and look to see if any obstructions like bees nest, birds nest or Santa