Heed the Warning!

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Wed. Nov. 28, 2012 11:13 am

jrn8265 wrote:I have a 26 ft 316ti SS liner.

I brush and vacume it out at the end of each season, have a good rain cap on it, and allow it to vent properly during the off season so there is no moisture build up and my liner is as good as the first day it was installed 6 years ago and I have been burning coal now through it for 5 years.

So they last if you take care of them!
I will admit I did not clean the liner that good at the end of the season(the stove I clean real good) but the .006 liner I used is a POS,I like the flex king pro smooth bore liner that is double wall so I think it would be ease to clean and my last longer to but I still think a clay liner is better then SS and it's withstood the test of time over and over again.Keepaeyeonit

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Nov. 28, 2012 3:00 pm

jrn8265 wrote:I have a 26 ft 316ti SS liner.

I brush and vacume it out at the end of each season, have a good rain cap on it, and allow it to vent properly during the off season so there is no moisture build up and my liner is as good as the first day it was installed 6 years ago and I have been burning coal now through it for 5 years.

So they last if you take care of them!
Exactly. Moisture, metal and coal ash do not play well together. I'm using the original smoke pipe on my boiler with 10 seasons of use on it. It's solid as a rock. I disconnect at the end of the season, clean it and store it in a dry environment. I know other guys who get 1 year out of it.

Keepaeyeonit

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sun. Dec. 02, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi all,Well I put the stove back together
IMG_1400.JPG
.JPG | 131.1KB | IMG_1400.JPG
I started a wood fire then put on some bit I had from the local bike trail and so far It's holding at .06WC, stove temp is 350*,It's rainy with no wind,and 55* but I will see next week when I start to burn hard coal and try to get the stove temp lower.(It's going to be too warm to keep the fire going until later in the week)I removed all insulation around the pipe and sealed up the front of the stove to the brick but I think next spring I'm going to add 2 or 4 more feet to the chimney,put in 8" round clay liners with perlite in the air space.This dam thing is making me :crazy: .Keepaeyeonit

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 02, 2012 4:03 pm

Keepaeyeonit wrote:I removed all insulation around the pipe and sealed up the front of the stove to the brick
If you don't have that pipe sealed to the chimney, air may find another way in to cannibalize you draft. Maybe it could get around the stove somewhere or up thru a clean out, in the floor of the fireplace.. You may wanna - keep an eye on it :)

Keepaeyeonit

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sun. Dec. 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Lightning,I left the pipe in and sealed up the front and under the stove like the install instructions say to do,I don't have a ash dump in my fireplace and I checked all around the stove and shroud with a incense stick to see if I had a air leak but there doesn't seem to be any.Thanks and I will Keepaeyeonit :D

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Keepaeyeonit wrote:Lightning,I left the pipe in and sealed up the front and under the stove like the install instructions say to do,I don't have a ash dump in my fireplace and I checked all around the stove and shroud with a incense stick to see if I had a air leak but there doesn't seem to be any.Thanks and I will Keepaeyeonit :D
OK partner, sounds like you have a good grip on it. I've seen others on here make a plate that fits in the chimney with a hole for the pipe. You've probably seen them too :) If you feel that at some point in future you think air might be finding another way in, you might try taking that route :D

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sun. Dec. 02, 2012 10:54 pm

Keepaeyeonit, that is a clean and great looking install you have there !

Keepaeyeonit

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanks Echos67,I try to keep a tidy stove area so when people stop buy they can't believe I heat with coal plus I hate dust and I have very little compared to when I burned wood :D .Keepaeyeonit

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 8:15 pm

echos67 wrote:Keepaeyeonit, that is a clean and great looking install you have there !
Yeh no kidding, if that don't get people re-thinking a Coal Appliance in the living area nothing will.

Keepaeyeonit

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Tue. Dec. 11, 2012 8:40 am

Hi everyone here's how It's going so far did the install as per Hitzer that helped some but I still can't keep a draft unless the stove temp is 280* or hotter and with outside temp is in the upper 30*s to low 40*s it still is .02" WC at best and from the past two years that's real low,I went through all the gaskets on the stove there all good the only thing I can figure is I have a major air leak in the chimney someplace but until I can do something with it my temporary fix is to line it so I got a 25' 2 ply liner(with insulation but not from them,I made up my own kit with hi temp insulation)I will install over the weekend plus adding a temporary clay liner to the top so hopefully this will work until I decide what I"m going to do.Keepaeyeonit :)

Keepaeyeonit

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sun. Dec. 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi all just another update,I installed a smooth bore 2 ply 316TI liner 25' long with 1'' of rockwool insulation and added a 2' clay liner for support and the following photo is only a temporary fix,
IMG_1413.JPG
.JPG | 107KB | IMG_1413.JPG
and so for It's working like a champ 57* outside with a light breeze stove temp is 225* and the pipe temp is 150* 6'' from the outlet .03"WC at minim and as high as .08"WC with a breeze so I temporally solved the low draft problem :) but If the liner lasts 3 or 4 years I will be surprised,not real impressed with it at all :x (the only liner I like is Homesaver heavy wall but 316L is the best they make It's .020+ thick and I think 316TI would last for some time but I still think round clay with insulations and high is the way to go but that's my opinion)so now I have some time to gather my stuff for next or the following year to do this job right.Take care Keepaeyeonit ;)

Keepaeyeonit

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi all well I finished the chimney last week,adding 24" to the chimney bringing it to 4' above the peak and all I can say is the draft is super strong so far even with the temps in the upper 60's and the stove running 225*,no less then -.04WC and the pipe temp 125*.When removed the old liners I found that I did a crap job with the refractory cement(I had one whole side with a big gap between the clay liners I don't know why it was ok for two years and all of a sudden not :confused: )but they were butt joint 12" Sq liners and the new ones are 8" round male/female joints sealed with Heat-stop 50 refractory cement with Perlite insulation filling the airspace.I used Heat-fab stove pipe between the stove and the liners(tee and 8"RC baro,45*,18"pipe,45*,36"pipe up inside the clay liners)all joints sealed with Rutland seal-it-rite direct vent sealant and 3 and 4 screws.
IMG_2387.JPG

liner and Pirlite

.JPG | 149.4KB | IMG_2387.JPG
photo.JPG
.JPG | 105.3KB | photo.JPG
IMG_2414.JPG

finished chimney

.JPG | 165.1KB | IMG_2414.JPG
IMG_2392.JPG
.JPG | 74.1KB | IMG_2392.JPG
IMG_2394.JPG
.JPG | 102.5KB | IMG_2394.JPG
I hope I'm finished with this but so far its never been better :D .Keepaeyeonit

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 8:02 pm

NICE KAEOI :)

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 8:14 pm

VERY nice job. most people wouldn't have done it right and fixed the stack (and stack height or lack of it specifically); they would just have slammed in a draft inducer to "fix" their inadequate chimney. Height is everything. You did a nice job on the brick, glad you updated this! :)

Keepaeyeonit

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Thu. Nov. 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks for the positive comments,I'm by no means a Mason. But I try to do the best I can. I did have a low draft day(.02 to .03 on a 60* day) I didn't foil the baro and it was stuck 1/2 opened on a screw :oops: I checked for that to but I must have missed it. it's still .05 and better. keepaeyeonit

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”