Storing Coal

kpmeyer

Post by kpmeyer » Mon. Nov. 19, 2012 3:18 pm

I am thinking of buying 22 or so tons of nut coal and storing it outside next to my garage. I have never left coal outside before - always had 2 ton delivered right into my bin in the cellar. The coal would be stored on asphalt that is pitched towards the front which also continues on into my driveway and parking area. Will there be black runoff each time that it rains? Also, is there any smell after the initial delivery settles down? Thanks

Short Bus
Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only

Post by Short Bus » Mon. Nov. 19, 2012 4:06 pm

Never heard of coal stink, just sitting in a pile.
Fill in your location so people might be able to figure out where your coal will come from.
I would cover it with a tarp at least, my Subbituminous coal degrades in sun and rain.
If you are in Anthracite country it is a totally different coal.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Mon. Nov. 19, 2012 9:04 pm

I've stored Anthracite pea coal outside uncovered for several years on black top/concrete with no ill effects to the coal. See my avatar. It was rained on, snow on and pee-ed on by any number of animals. When it was finally all removed by use or transport to my new coal shed, the only ill effect was a noticeable difference in the color of the blacktop/concrete vs. what didn't have coal on it. I attribute it to the lack of sunlight and some washing of the coal. After two years of the coal being removed the difference is not noticeable. I believe the advantage of having the coal rained on is it washes the coal dust off. For me the rain that made it thru the coal pile went into a drain. Depending on your situation in may accumulate as "fines" in a low spot.

kpmeyer

Post by kpmeyer » Mon. Nov. 19, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm up in northwest Connecticut. I would be having anthracite delivered from Pennsylvania. It seems that I won't have any problems. My biggest concern was that because of the location that the coal will be stored at, any residue that might be washed off from the rain would travel across about 100 feet of my paved parking area. It's where my visitors park and where my grandkids ride their bikes and electric cars.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”