Questions Regarding the Oiling of Coal to Knock Down Dust

Bob
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Anthracite

Post by Bob » Mon. Nov. 05, 2012 10:24 am

I specify oiled coal when ordering from my delivery man. The oil is added at the breaker (Superior). It has no odor but beyond that I don't know the specs. Superior is a "wet" breaker and the oil appears to be well mixed with the water so I would assume it is a water soluble oil. I am billed by the gallon as an additional charge and the amount added is 3 gallons for my purchase which is 7-8 tons. Most recent price is $10/gal.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Nov. 10, 2012 5:49 pm

I sprayed the tops of 4 x 5 gallon pails of coal with Light Mineral Oil from TSC just a few minutes ago. I'm projecting a need to add coal to the boiler on Monday. Do you think that two full days will be enough time for the oil to work its way down through the pails?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Nov. 10, 2012 8:08 pm

I have no idea...but I bet you will on Monday. :D

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sat. Nov. 10, 2012 8:16 pm

I just started using Peanut Oil. I use a Wagner Power Painter Plus, I doubt inhaling peanut oil will hurt you, but next time I might mask up. I like the smell outside better than the mineral oil. Those that notice think someone is cooking. I am on the hunt for a bulk purchase of a few gallons. When I find it I will update everyone.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 6:54 am

I just located the MSDS for the Light Mineral Oil supplied by Tractor Supply Company (TSC).

http://www.neogen.com/AnimalSafety/pdf/MSDS/08848 ... 9_MSDS.pdf

It has a flash point of only 335 degrees F. by the COC (Cleveland Open Cup) method. Seeing that my hopper sits directly above and is fully open to my fire box (tube), would this low flash point potentially mean that it could flash ignite into my hopper?

By comparison, I reviewed the MSDS from three sources of Peanut Oil, and its flash point is listed at 539 degrees F. in one, 542 degrees F in another, and as greater than 550 degrees F. via the third source.

diamondinruff
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-160
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: wood stove in great room

Post by diamondinruff » Sun. Nov. 11, 2012 9:16 am

Keepaeyeonit wrote:Isayre,I use a 1 gal pump sprayer and a I would say at the most 2 tons per one gal of oil but 1 1/2 tons per gal is more of a realistic number, it's too late now but putting the oil on as it's coming down the shoot is the best way to do it(using the least amount of oil).Keepaeyeonit
This.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 6:26 am

Well Larry, did you have the nerve to burn the oiled coal? Is your house still on the foundation?

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 9:42 am

Fred did not mention the 'Mammoth Vein Hose Method' of keeping the coal damp. I you ask again, I'm afraid he will be out to show you just how to do it. Some people should not EVER burn coal, and I'm working on a list right now....rainy day and all. Would you like to be Chairman of the new NON-USER group? If not, I understand the need to reserve your precious time for more questions................................. :woot: :mad3: :evil: :eek2: :flex:

FF will get the proper ratio of beer consumed to bear 'recycled' later today after he does a relativity comparison in "Real World" conditions in his Laboratory.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 10:43 am

And today on dr phil, we will be discussing patience, tolerence & compassion--- NOT-- :clap: toothy Off to the lab I am!!

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Rob R. wrote:Well Larry, did you have the nerve to burn the oiled coal? Is your house still on the foundation?
As a Chemist (by education, and with more than a few years of practical job experience in the field of chemical manufacturing on top of that) I should take the issue of the low flash point of the Light Mineral Oil and the potential nasty ramifications thereof highly seriously. That said, yesterday I threw my education, experience, and logic itself to the wind and added 2 of the 4 pails of oiled coal into the hopper. It will take several days for this coal to work its way down into the fire tube and ultimately into the combustion end of things.

I would have felt much better if they were oiled with peanut oil.

As it turned out, the 2 pails I added were dusty as all get out, so either I did not spray enough of the mineral oil onto each, or it takes more than a few days to permeate down through the pails. They appeared very non dusting down to about 4-5 inches into each pail.
Last edited by lsayre on Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Good for you, you needed to loose the chemistry mentality & pay attention to what people have suggested as far as for--the oiling/watering process My BIL is a minu'te particle physicist, I will shoot him if he ever gets near my 50-93 :)
Last edited by freetown fred on Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 2:41 pm

freetown fred wrote:My BIL is a minute' particla physicist, I will shoot him if he ever gets near my 50-93
What kind of range are we talking about? Steps on the lawn, or a toe on the hearth? :lol: :lol:

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Feet on my property! PS I tried to clean that spelling up--that was bad even for me. toothy

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 3:43 pm

JUst shook & topped of the Hitzer--I know--weird time of the day--headed down to the barn & I had plumes of smoke coming out of & around the stack--never seen that before---Larry, were you up here spraying that oil in my coal bin???? toothy --YES--went in closed the MPD & she stopped shortly after--the coal was from some bags I had picked up a couple weeks ago---just God stuff I suspect. ;)

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 4:10 pm

Was the coal damp? Might have just been some steam.

Must be the week of coal strangness. I topped my drum off yesterday and the last pail of coal smelled funny...after I dumped it in the drum I had to take a few sniffs to realize it smelled like gunpowder. The smell was faint, but it was there. I dug out a handfull of coal for a stronger sniff, and noticed something orange. Turned out to be a piece of primer cord about 3/4" long, and it smelled like a just-fired shotgun. I couldn't believe that one little piece would smell that strong, so I dug through the coal until I was satisified there weren't any more. That part of the barrel won't make it to the burn pot until next week, so keep an eye out for me. :lol:

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”