Lightning Protection ?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jul. 19, 2012 6:13 pm

Bruce, before I would do anything, I would check with my insurance co. & see what thier specs would be for a system as far as them covering this ACT of GOD. I know you are looking into this for projected personal safety, I would just be curious as to what the insurance co rip offs have to say???

Bruce M
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1627 basement stove

Post by Bruce M » Fri. Jul. 20, 2012 4:41 am

That's a good point Fred, I would certainly do that. A lot of good info has been brought to light, thanks all.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Fri. Jul. 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Lightning protection has been largely discounted and ignored by modern day people. The web is full of good information especially when sourced from IEEE / IAEI or utility company. The best methods of protection for the average person are a whole house surge protection system installed at the electrical meter and upgrading your copper ground wire to AWG # 2 and increasing the thickness of the copper-clad steel ground rod from the standard 5/8" to a 3/4" solid-copper rod.

Bottomline: The best way to protect from lightning damage is to give it exactly what it is seeking.....a very low resistance path to earth ground.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jul. 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Damn, good point EW&F--that makes 3 ground rods I have---YES, one off the meter. :doh: toothy

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”