Lightning Protection ?

This forum is for common products and questions such as chimney installations, CO detectors, coal bin designs and a variety of other general topics that do not fit into the other forums.
freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Thu. Jul. 19, 2012 6:13 pm

Bruce, before I would do anything, I would check with my insurance co. & see what thier specs would be for a system as far as them covering this ACT of GOD. I know you are looking into this for projected personal safety, I would just be curious as to what the insurance co rip offs have to say???
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

Bruce M
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1627 basement stove

Post Fri. Jul. 20, 2012 4:41 am

That's a good point Fred, I would certainly do that. A lot of good info has been brought to light, thanks all.
Bruce

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post Fri. Jul. 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Lightning protection has been largely discounted and ignored by modern day people. The web is full of good information especially when sourced from IEEE / IAEI or utility company. The best methods of protection for the average person are a whole house surge protection system installed at the electrical meter and upgrading your copper ground wire to AWG # 2 and increasing the thickness of the copper-clad steel ground rod from the standard 5/8" to a 3/4" solid-copper rod.

Bottomline: The best way to protect from lightning damage is to give it exactly what it is seeking.....a very low resistance path to earth ground.
Mark

Inflation is the Grim Reaper to prosperity.
Printing money without a gold standard is the crime of counterfeiting.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Mr. McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
Si vis paceum, parabellum.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Fri. Jul. 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Damn, good point EW&F--that makes 3 ground rods I have---YES, one off the meter. :doh: toothy
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”