Glycol or No Glycol

331camaro
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker k6
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by 331camaro » Fri. Sep. 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Wow I had no idea that it had to be pumped in, makes sense tho sounds like a pain in the a** I more than likely will skip the glycol and just remember to keep a close eye on everything

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Fri. Sep. 14, 2012 9:57 pm

I glycol-ed my system but I had the ability to buy glycol wholesale direct from the supplier. I used 40% figuring I would want the ability to repressurize the system with plain water if I had to do a repair. With 40%, I didn't have to worry about some minor dilution.

The main reason I used glycol was I thought I might not heat the building at times.

I found it takes only a ton or so of coal to keep the building from freezing. I would not mess with glycol again.

Based on my experience, you would have at least 24 hours or longer in the coldest weather to get your system up and running again before worrying about freezing. It will take that long for the mass of the building and concrete to cool below freezing. Don't forget the soil under the building is also a lot warmer than that ouside and will take a long time to get to the freezing point.

Your biggest concern about freezing would be pipes that are not PEX and are smaller like for plumbing water lines. In many cases, Pex will expand a little and not split if you get a small frozen spot.

331camaro
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker k6
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by 331camaro » Mon. Sep. 17, 2012 5:23 am

i was thinking I could simply dump a couple jugs of glycol into the system. makes sense that it wont mix. so just plain old water it is then, and I think ill just put a spare pump, and gasket for each system on the shelf, and give that old generator a nice tune up!

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Mon. Sep. 17, 2012 7:55 am

331camaro wrote:i was thinking I could simply dump a couple jugs of glycol into the system. makes sense that it wont mix. so just plain old water it is then, and I think ill just put a spare pump, and gasket for each system on the shelf, and give that old generator a nice tune up!
Cheaper and simpler.

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Thu. Sep. 20, 2012 5:40 am

glycol or no glycol? I also just came to the same question, decided not to use glycol.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”