New Thimble in Chimney

ted

Post by ted » Tue. Nov. 27, 2007 10:24 am

I have a lined 8 " round flue, and need to cut in for a new thimble for new efm boiler, has any one had any luck drilling and fitting new 8 inch round thimble into chimney,i am thinking that I can drill with diamond hole saw and trim with diamond blade on 4 inch grinder then cement with refractory cement.. I built the chimney 17 years ago...My present wood coal unit is on the other side, I will plug that hole when this unit is up running
Thanks for any input advice, The end of project is very near,,the boiler is full of water and only a couple of zones left to plumb and then electrical till I turn into a girlyman
Ted :D

Attachments

PB261602.JPG

masonry chimney with 8 inchround flue tile built by me in 1989 40 feet high

.JPG | 42.7KB | PB261602.JPG

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Nov. 27, 2007 10:39 am

Hi Ted that is exactly how I cut my opening for my thimble/flue pipe. Just take your time, and have a vacuum nearby to clean up the masonry dust. Wear eye protection and a mask.. the dust bothers me..

Greg L

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Nov. 27, 2007 10:41 am

You could just drill a bunch of small holes (1/2") in a circle and punch it out. Then just cement the ends in place. Two things, make sure you pitch the thimble up (1/4" per foot or so) and that it doesn't extend into the chimney.

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Tue. Nov. 27, 2007 10:54 am

It appears you have two flues, with one being used for the hot water heater. ? Anything else?

Could you do some rearrangement, so that you don't need to punch in a new thimble?

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”