Duct Fans

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Feb. 23, 2012 9:03 am

[quote="carlherrnstein"]How hot was the air you were moving? The air was being moved by a heat reclaimer , horizontally, I had an eight inch round pipe infront of the heat reclaimer and about 12 ft. away was an inline fan then an 90* up turn to first floor. I never got a good push and I had the door to the basement open. This was in a 1100 sq. ft. ranch so there is no real obstacles. The door to the basement and the vent were about 30 ft. away. Went through 2 of these fans in no time at all, I believe the name was sunline, but looked identicle to the one you're considering.

chester
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove

Post by chester » Thu. Feb. 23, 2012 9:06 am

lolol ,thats ok jk. I do have cold air returns from the far end of the house . My stove sits right next to my now unused oil burning furnace .(love it). Air iam trying to move is just the warm air in that half of the basement.was told by a havc person to just run the fan from my furnace to circulate air. would a fan in the existing ductwork do the same thing ?

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Thu. Feb. 23, 2012 9:15 am

thanks for the warning on the fans i'll see what else I can get

jkabdoors

Post by jkabdoors » Thu. Feb. 23, 2012 9:53 am

chester wrote:lolol ,thats ok jk. I do have cold air returns from the far end of the house . My stove sits right next to my now unused oil burning furnace .(love it). Air iam trying to move is just the warm air in that half of the basement.was told by a havc person to just run the fan from my furnace to circulate air. would a fan in the existing ductwork do the same thing ?

i have fans in my cold air returns and battery operated floor vents. also I have 4 ceiling fans working backwards, my coal-trol is set at 77 now and my upstairs is 71

Horace
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

Post by Horace » Thu. Feb. 23, 2012 10:04 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
carlherrnstein wrote:tcalo im thinking of doing somthing like that but with this http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/heating-cool ... c-8480.htm
This is an inferior product, I personally tried these. I got the same type at home depot for about thirty bucks and burnt two out in about a month. They can't handle the high temp. I'm not sure if it was the hot air that caused it or if they overheat due to their design. You get what you pay for with these fans. A fan with an external motor or squirel cage with external motor will work better.
I second this as I tried them, too. Noisy, and they just don't move that much air. I went to a squirrel-cage blower and while it's just as noisy, it moves a ton more air. My house is now evenly heated - even the bedroom farthest away from the stove is warm all the time. I have about a 5* differential between the basement where the stove is and the farthest room which sits over the unheated side of the basement. Cold-air-return is accomplished through some passive ductwork, open basement door, and some holes through the floor.

dave brode
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-2
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: used to have a 5 section Red Square
Coal Size/Type: rice anthracite

Post by dave brode » Fri. Feb. 24, 2012 9:49 pm

chester wrote:lwas told by a havc person to just run the fan from my furnace to circulate air.
Have your tried this? If your furnace duct serves the whole house, it should even out the temps. Most thermostats have a "fan on" setting that can allow running the fan w/o the furnace heating.

Dave

g350h
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska/w homemade air jacket

Post by g350h » Sat. Feb. 25, 2012 7:15 am

I've been running my 2 6" inline booster fans for over 2 years without a single problem. They are field controls brand rated up to 180 deg. forget how much cfms, but they move quite a bit of air, I have them hooked to a thermostat, so they come on when needed.don't get the Home cheepo ones.

Bratkinson
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III
Other Heating: Gas FA

Post by Bratkinson » Wed. Feb. 29, 2012 10:00 pm

As mentioned above, the most important part of moving hot air somewhere in the house is having a good way for the cold air to get back to the stove. Without a complete 'circuit', it won't be possible to move enough hot air 30' or so to keep the next room warm.

As for inline ducts, the $25 hunk of junk inline fans move about as much air as a fly beating its wings. Been there, done that. I bought two and installed one. It died within a month or so with 24hr running. The other one I gave to a friend to use for some part-time use he had, like paint room ventilation or something like that.

Once I figured out I had to have a complete air circuit in my house, I decided on a couple of really great 405 CFM fans for 6" duct. Here: http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php?p=suncourt_t ... uct=112180. They are super quiet and have been trouble free for the past 2 years. They can have an optional speed control, if desired, but I just let 'em run full speed ahead. I pull air off the top and sides of my Channing III and heat a 200 sqft cape cod house to 70 degrees without any problem.

Yea, the fans are pricey. I first paid the price of doing it wrong the first time, both in non-circuit air movement design and cheapo fans.

edit: Oh yea..I 'pull' cold air through ducts as the fans are adjacent to my stove. That way, there's no hot air issues.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”