Duct Fans

chester
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove

Post by chester » Wed. Feb. 22, 2012 9:53 am

Not sure if iam in the right place for this but... Has any body else installed fans in there ductwork to move warm air to the far side of the house. I installed s small inline fan in my ductwork downstairs (stove is not attached to it ,just radiates up into it ). was wondering how big the fan is anybody uses and if this is the way to go . First year burning coal. thanks in advance.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Feb. 22, 2012 9:58 am

Chester, I think I've read about some of these fancy duct work kinda guys doing or thinking about doing that. :) Be patient neighbor.

chester
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove

Post by chester » Wed. Feb. 22, 2012 10:08 am

Well fred .my basement is split in half -1/2 finished 1/2 workspace and my stove is on the far end of the work space half. So I get a cold area at the opposite end of the upstairs. just trying ways to more the air around is all.

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Wed. Feb. 22, 2012 10:22 am

chester,
do a google search in top right for "in-line duct fans"

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Feb. 22, 2012 5:26 pm

A few people use them, some however are not rated for higher temps. The ones with the Metal Blades I think are good to like 200+ degress.

Like this

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Wed. Feb. 22, 2012 8:40 pm

Chester,

I am heating a 1200 sq.ft. ranch with a Coal Chubby. Unfortunately my stove is tucked away in the far corner of my house and the bedrooms are on the complete opposite side from where the stove is located. The bedrooms were like ice boxes and the room with the stove was like a sauna! I had a buddy of mine help me install some ductwork with an 8" ducted fan in my attic. I dropped some vents into each bedroom and a one in the bathroom. Best investment I ever made. Keeps the whole house toasty, sometimes a bit too warm. Granted the room with my stove is still warmer then the rest of the house, but then again it has a chunk of cast iron blazing at about 500* in it...lol. The fan was a bit pricey, but well worth it. No more jaw jabbing from the wife cmplaining about the artic we have to sleep in every night. Besides, we just had our first little girl over the summer so I wanted to be sure she was comfy! Below is the fan I purchased from Grainger. Hope my story helped, Good luck!

http://www.grainger.com/product/FANTECH-Duct-Fan- ... Pid=search

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Wed. Feb. 22, 2012 9:49 pm

tcalo im thinking of doing somthing like that but with this http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/heating-cool ... c-8480.htm

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Feb. 22, 2012 10:32 pm

carlherrnstein wrote:tcalo im thinking of doing somthing like that but with this http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/heating-cool ... c-8480.htm
This is an inferior product, I personally tried these. I got the same type at home depot for about thirty bucks and burnt two out in about a month. They can't handle the high temp. I'm not sure if it was the hot air that caused it or if they overheat due to their design. You get what you pay for with these fans. A fan with an external motor or squirel cage with external motor will work better.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Thu. Feb. 23, 2012 6:38 am

How hot was the air you were moving? The air temp above my current stove on the wall has never gotten above 100* I can't see it burning up from heat. The motors must just be a junk.

jkabdoors

Post by jkabdoors » Thu. Feb. 23, 2012 7:16 am

Chester I have the same set-up. Do you have a cold air return or 2 at the far end also that is piped down to the basement floor? I called L.L in berwick pa and they told a cold air return is most important for air flow. Jeff

jkabdoors

Chester I have the same set-up. Do you have a cold air return or 2 at the far end also that is piped down to the basement floor? I called L.L in berwick pa and they told a cold air return is most important for air flow.

jkabdoors

Chester I have the same set-up. Do you have a cold air return or 2 at thee far end also that is piped down to the basement floor? I called L.L in berwick pa and they told a cold air return is most important for air flow.

jkabdoors

Chester I have the same set-up. Do you have a cold air return or 2 at the far end also that is piped down to the basement floor? I called L.L in berwick pa and they told a cold air return is most important for air flow.

jkabdoors

Chester I have the same set-up. Do you have a cold air return or 2 at thee far end also that is piped down to the basement floor? I called L.L in berwick pa and they told a cold air return is most important for air flow.

jkabdoors

Post by jkabdoors » Thu. Feb. 23, 2012 7:18 am

Sorry my finger STUCK Jeff

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”