Hopper Issue

coalburnerswife

Post by coalburnerswife » Thu. Feb. 16, 2012 9:32 am

Good Morning,

We have had wonderful success with our new coal furnace since installing it in November. Yesterday, it seemed cool in the house, thermostat was set at 68, but it was only 63 in the house. When I checked the furnace, it was running, the auger that is, but the fire was out. There was plenty of coal in the bin. My husband came home, started it again, but it appeared that although the auger was running, but coal was not being fed.

He dug out most of the coal from the bin, and thinks it was jammed up somehow where it feeds from the bin into the auger. The coal (pea) was also wet at the bottom of the bin, plus some fine coal particles there. We have the furnace off today, and he will check it out more tonight.

Any ideas why this happened or what we should do to keep it from happening again? This is our first year with the coal furnace. Sorry not to be more technical, but I mainly just enjoy the warmth of the coal. My husband is appreciative of any advice from this board.

Thanks so much,
Regina

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Feb. 16, 2012 9:54 am

coalburnerswife wrote:The coal (pea) was also wet at the bottom of the bin, plus some fine coal particles there.
You meant "rice" coal not "pea" coal right? It should look like this (maybe a little bitter or smaller, but close):

If the coal is wet, it is possible that the fines caused it to "bridge" around the auger. In that case the auger just hollows out a spot and the coal quits feeding. Scoop out the fines in that area, stir up the coal, and give it another try.

Also, how many auger flights are sticking out of the pipe and into the coal?

coalburnerswife

Post by coalburnerswife » Thu. Feb. 16, 2012 10:00 am

Yes, I meant rice not pea......sorry.

There are 2 flights sticking out.

My husband thought the same thing you said, so I am glad I asked!

We will fire her back up tonight, right now I hear the oil furnace running, and I much prefer the sound of my auger running!!!

Thanks so much for your help!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Feb. 16, 2012 10:29 am

I think you would have better luck with roughly 4-5 flights of auger beyond the pipe.

coalburnerswife

Post by coalburnerswife » Thu. Feb. 16, 2012 10:30 am

Okay, I will pass that on to my husband, thanks again.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”