Keystoker90 Best Way to Hook up to Furnace

stokerfire

Post by stokerfire » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 4:59 pm

I recently hooked the stove to my oil furnace using the convection fan of furnace,the question I have is which way is the best way to hook it to the furnace I have it hooked to the cold air plenum right now but it does'nt seem to get vey warm through the duct work .I was thinking of hooking it up to the hot air plenum , but not sure if I should or not and if it is possible how do I get to not back flow through the supply of coal stove any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Do you have a heat jacket on the stove? Usually it's get hooked to the cold air return so It can pull the heat from the stove and into the house using the furnace fan. However, most furnace blowers are Too powerful for the small STOVES, and it will just pull cooler air.

Also, these are stoves, not furnaces.

Whats your current furnace BTU rating?

Post a pic or two of your setup and then maybe we can see what you are working with.

stokerfire

Post by stokerfire » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 7:44 pm

my stove has a 6'' top cut with 6'' insulated duct ran to cold air return of furnace

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Are you running the furnace fan on demand only or are you letting it run 24 x 7? I am running my Keystoker 90 trough a penum that maxes out at 440 CFM, but usually run it continuosly at maybe 350 CFM and house stays nice and toasty. I am also running a Coal-trol and many times set it to MANFAN with at least 85 value.
Last edited by 2001Sierra on Tue. Jan. 24, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WNY

Post by WNY » Tue. Jan. 24, 2012 4:39 am

Thats the problem, you are only pulling heat from the back and top of the stove, you are loosing heat from the sides too. it will only go so far without cooling off and the stock blower at 350CFM or so is only so powerful to push it into all your ductwork.

stokerfire

Post by stokerfire » Tue. Jan. 24, 2012 1:41 pm

I wired the furnace blower fan to the coal stove blower fan so the two of them would run at the same time,also about half way of the run of insulated 6'' duct from the top cut of the coal stove to the furnace cold air return plenum I installed a booster fan to help, which is also tied in with the other fans so everything runs together.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Jan. 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Let me clarify my hookup. I have the Keystoker 90 with a 250 CFM fan pushing air in a plenum to Panasonic blower that maxes out at 440 CFM in perfect conditions.I have a push pull installation. The Panasonic blower is hooked up to a seperate speed controller that allows me to adjust the CFM. I bleed a small amount of convection air into the basement family room for comfort. I am still tweaking my install, and plan on commiting to a welded duct ring in the top of the stove next summer.

stokerfire

Post by stokerfire » Thu. Jan. 26, 2012 2:56 pm

The only thing I was wandering if it is better to hook to the furnace cold or hot air plenum and if it is to the hot how do you keep the hot air from the coal stove being pushed back to itself and keeping it through the ducts of the furnace?

WNY

Post by WNY » Thu. Jan. 26, 2012 5:01 pm

If you are using the furnace blower, it should pull the hot air from the stove into the plenum correctly if hooked to the cold air return.

stokerfire

Post by stokerfire » Thu. Jan. 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Thank you for all your input it was extremely helpful and taking the time ,Greatly appreciated!Just tring to hopefully do those final tweaks to get the most out of the setup I have, thanks again.

WNY

Post by WNY » Thu. Jan. 26, 2012 6:53 pm

good luck and keep us informed. :)

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”