Coal Burning Safety

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 11:50 am

Wood'nCoal wrote:
gambler wrote:Instead of sand I would use flour. I think it would be a little easier to clean up.
Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) is a better idea. Actually the "bag" the fire dept. drops down your chimney is just a large amount of baking soda. It smothers the fire. I know this for a fact (been there, done that).

Avoid the dry chem. fire extinguisher, if possible. That will REALLY make a mess.
Can you buy a large enough quantity of baking soda in bulk somewhere?

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 1:24 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:
gambler wrote:Instead of sand I would use flour. I think it would be a little easier to clean up.
Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) is a better idea. Actually the "bag" the fire dept. drops down your chimney is just a large amount of baking soda. It smothers the fire. I know this for a fact (been there, done that).

Avoid the dry chem. fire extinguisher, if possible. That will REALLY make a mess.
I would have to agree!

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 1:50 pm

Manufacturers or Distributors of chemicals to industry should have Bicarb. in large quantities (50 lb. bags and such). I'll try to check into it this week and let you know. I should have a large bag myself, although I'd end up using it to clean bugs off the front of my truck and for indigestion. It doesn't have to be USP grade since it's not going to be consumed, that should make it cheaper.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 2:08 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Manufacturers or Distributors of chemicals to industry should have Bicarb. in large quantities (50 lb. bags and such). I'll try to check into it this week and let you know. I should have a large bag myself, although I'd end up using it to clean bugs off the front of my truck and for indigestion. It doesn't have to be USP grade since it's not going to be consumed, that should make it cheaper.
My local volunteer fire department buys Sodium Bicarbonate in 50 lb bags and then repackages in smaller size bags. This is what gets thrown down your chimney or in your stove to smother the fire. They avoid doing anything to the chimney if possible. They don't want the liability of a cracked chimney tile. They will not use water in a chimney because it's sure to crack the tiles. Of course all bets are off if the house is burning down.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 4:57 pm

That's what went down my chimney when I set it on fire. The creosote began to fall and blocked the flue. After it was out they dropped the weight down it and then we shoveled it all out the cleanout. That's one way to get all the creosote out! :blowup:

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Nov. 19, 2007 8:23 pm

Yanche wrote:
Wood'nCoal wrote:Manufacturers or Distributors of chemicals to industry should have Bicarb. in large quantities (50 lb. bags and such). I'll try to check into it this week and let you know. I should have a large bag myself, although I'd end up using it to clean bugs off the front of my truck and for indigestion. It doesn't have to be USP grade since it's not going to be consumed, that should make it cheaper.
My local volunteer fire department buys Sodium Bicarbonate in 50 lb bags and then repackages in smaller size bags. This is what gets thrown down your chimney or in your stove to smother the fire. They avoid doing anything to the chimney if possible. They don't want the liability of a cracked chimney tile. They will not use water in a chimney because it's sure to crack the tiles. Of course all bets are off if the house is burning down.
Bicarb. is available from swimming pool supply outlets, usually in 10 to 50 lb. packages, it's one of the chemicals used to adjust PH in pool water. It should be cheaper there then buying 50 little boxes at the grocery store.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Nov. 19, 2007 8:24 pm

Yanche wrote:
Bicarb. is available from swimming pool supply outlets, usually in 10 to 50 lb. packages, it's one of the chemicals used to adjust PH in pool water. It should be cheaper there then buying 50 little boxes at the grocery store.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Nov. 19, 2007 8:51 pm

It may be cheaper if you ask for soda ash. :)

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Nov. 19, 2007 9:09 pm

"Bicarb. is available from swimming pool supply outlets, usually in 10 to 50 lb. packages, it's one of the chemicals used to adjust PH in pool water. It should be cheaper there then buying 50 little boxes at the grocery store."

Having owned a pool for many years, trust me.....If it's sold as a swimming pool supply, it wont be cheap~!

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Nov. 19, 2007 9:17 pm

Devil5052 wrote:"Bicarb. is available from swimming pool supply outlets, usually in 10 to 50 lb. packages, it's one of the chemicals used to adjust PH in pool water. It should be cheaper there then buying 50 little boxes at the grocery store."

Having owned a pool for many years, trust me.....If it's sold as a swimming pool supply, it wont be cheap~!
Homeowner pool supplies have quite a mark-up, most of the chemicals are sold in small packages.
Commercial pool supplies are a little more reasonable, due to the larger packages. Can I interest you in a tractor-trailer full of pallets of Soda Ash?

I see a possible business opportunity here, the next ride to PA to get coal, I'll bring some 50 lb. bags of Bicarb with me!

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Mon. Nov. 19, 2007 10:46 pm

Is it the same soda ash used to sandblast auto bodies down to bare metal?
Last edited by Yanche on Tue. Nov. 20, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Tue. Nov. 20, 2007 1:41 pm

This peaked my interest and I found this little tidbit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_carbonate

Maybe we can put together a coal burning safety kit and sell it to fund our activities! :lol:

New York Bear

Post by New York Bear » Tue. Nov. 20, 2007 6:01 pm

You can also get it at farm feed stores, quite reasonable.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Nov. 20, 2007 8:28 pm

It's actually Sodium Bicarbonate, which differs chemically from Sodium Carbonate (Soda Ash). Soda ash is a relatively strong alkaline, Sodium Bicarbonate is a milder chemical than Soda Ash. Bicarb is the product used to remove paint.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_Bicarbonate

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Nov. 22, 2007 8:37 pm

I picked up a 50 lb. sack of Sodium Bicarbonate at the wholesaler I deal with, it's still in my truck. I'll empty it into a 5 gallon pail with a lid, and store it at the top of the cellar stairs for quick access if I ever have to extinguish either the coal or wood stove. I suppose I can use the small shovel I load the stove with to shovel it onto the fire. Or into a glass of water for my indigestion! :annoyed:

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”