ALL Nighter Stove Replacing Pipe to Chimney

DirtdawgCT

Post by DirtdawgCT » Wed. Jan. 18, 2012 8:47 pm

Any input is greatly appreciated

I have a Wood Burning stove All Nighter BIG MOE

This year I clean chimney,take apart stove pipes leading to chimney from back of stove cleaned inside of pipes and back portion of stove where pipe slides in,clean trap and light up well I notice as the stove heats every so often the stove pipe to wall is gapping atleast a 1/2 inch between the 2 90 elbows. so with (welding ) gloves I'm able to get them connectted back.I allow to cool a check my connections again to secure everything seems snug to fit and sure enough after another few days of burning samething. really concerned about the gap seems like metal pipe is fatigud. The setup is how it came with house burned well till now 4 1/2 years

So I go get replacement pipe from local lowes same pieces I already have to replace 2 90's elbows,24 inch pipe for up pipe from back of stove, straight piece for out of wall, I have it all set making sure to minimize curves. what i'm not comfortable with it the fit of the 24inch pipe into back of stove there is somewhat of a flat section on the replacement pipe where the seam is . When I place a flash light into back of stove I can see the light through a gap space where the pipe's seam is.

anyone have suggestions on getting flat section on seam, round to fit without gap ?

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Thu. Jan. 19, 2012 10:00 am

Sounds to me like the seam is not snapped together properly. Just return it to Lowe's and get another one that goes together properly.
After I replace my pipes, even when they fit properly, I seal all the seams with high temperature silicone.
I also use three screws ay every connection.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jan. 19, 2012 11:35 am

EasyRay wrote:Sounds to me like the seam is not snapped together properly. Just return it to Lowe's and get another one that goes together properly.
Take it all back and go to an HVAC supply house and get some real stovepipe.

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Fri. Jan. 20, 2012 12:04 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
EasyRay wrote:Sounds to me like the seam is not snapped together properly. Just return it to Lowe's and get another one that goes together properly.
Take it all back and go to an HVAC supply house and get some real stovepipe.
Good point... Although I've never had a problem with the regular black pipe from Lowe's. I suppose price and durability would be an issue over the life of the pipe.

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 7:04 pm

Good point made prior should be brought up again, Consider the seam welded thick wall stuff, it'll get red hot on overfire and no potential for separated seams. Lasts 2-3 X the Lowe's stuff especially if summer removed. Three screws at all pipe joints.

Happy heating.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 7:17 pm

I don't know guys, my big wood burning beast-- BULLARD-- would run for two 1/2-- 3 yrs with Lowes black pipe & elbows for way less expensive then our local H&V warehouse had for basically the same 24ga. pipe. Dirtdawg, if you've got a real flat spot on your elbow/ pipe--take it back w/ receipt & get it replaced. ;) Don't forget those connection screws. They also hold the seams together.

rychw
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by rychw » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 7:31 pm

freetown fred wrote:I don't know guys, my big wood burning beast-- BULLARD-- would run for two 1/2-- 3 yrs with Lowes black pipe & elbows for way less expensive then our local H&V warehouse had for basically the same 24ga. pipe. Dirtdawg, if you've got a real flat spot on your elbow/ pipe--take it back w/ receipt & get it replaced. ;) Don't forget those connection screws. They also hold the seams together.
After spending $45 every two years for new galvanized pipe from HVAC supplier, I bought stainless, seamless pipe for $250 and will never have to replace it again. I can even leave it attached during the summer without fear of it rotting out due to humidity and acid action. It is so nice to look at since it doesn't change color or get rusty like the black and galvanized pipe did. :D

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Just fill in the gap with some furnace cement.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Damn it franco b, now that is the economic & efficient fix. ;)

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 9:44 pm

rychw wrote:
freetown fred wrote:I don't know guys, my big wood burning beast-- BULLARD-- would run for two 1/2-- 3 yrs with Lowes black pipe & elbows for way less expensive then our local H&V warehouse had for basically the same 24ga. pipe. Dirtdawg, if you've got a real flat spot on your elbow/ pipe--take it back w/ receipt & get it replaced. ;) Don't forget those connection screws. They also hold the seams together.
After spending $45 every two years for new galvanized pipe from HVAC supplier, I bought stainless, seamless pipe for $250 and will never have to replace it again. I can even leave it attached during the summer without fear of it rotting out due to humidity and acid action. It is so nice to look at since it doesn't change color or get rusty like the black and galvanized pipe did. :D

I used stainless for years between the Buderus and the clay chimney. Nice dry basement but still would get pinholes after 7 to 10 years, I really did not keep track how often, but in the summer when outside humidity got out of control you would see microscopic rust bubbles on the pipe, which would become pinholes. I now use 22 gauge welded seam pipe from Elmer's Pipe Supply up in Maine. Nice stuff, he also carries stainless.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”