Return for Keystoker90

stokerfire

Post by stokerfire » Thu. Jan. 12, 2012 4:04 pm

I have a 6 inch top cut on stove fed into my existing cold air return duct of oil furnace.Do I need cold air return seperately for coal stove? The coal stove is in the basement of the house I was wandering if I should have some sort of vent in the basement door to living space upstairs for a return for stove?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Jan. 12, 2012 4:28 pm

I would think yes. Easy enough to try by leaving the door open for awhile to see any difference.

stokerfire

Post by stokerfire » Thu. Jan. 12, 2012 4:45 pm

I have been doing that but was not sure whether I needed to or not?

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Jan. 12, 2012 5:23 pm

you could try tapping into a cold air return that is the furthest from the stove, get a piece of dryer vent ( cheap aproach ) and let it hang down close to the floor and let the stove pull it, you could see if it works with some insence or some other smoke effect. Then try puting your hot air from coal stove into hot air furnace plenum, this way you are using the path that was designed for the house.

stokerfire

Post by stokerfire » Thu. Jan. 12, 2012 8:07 pm

The hot air from coal stove is being fed into the cold air return of my oil furnace so I don't think I can use same return for the coal stove.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Jan. 12, 2012 10:17 pm

my error if you are trying to avoid the hot air duct and blower in your furnace, my original point was to redirect hot air from the coal stove into hot air duct work and use the natural cool air return. The reason for this is because I tried this with my 2 story ranch, basement and living space above, and I found that with out using my existing hot air furnace blower plenum ( oil burner off of course ), I couldn't get a good enough push with the hot air to force the cool air back to the stove. I needed the high cfm blower from my furnace to keep the cycle going. I still didn't get the efficiency needed because the basement is not finished so the stove is in my livingroom and all is good. The more cool air you can get back to the stove the better, hot will displace the cold air if there is a path of least resistance. If you pressurize the up stairs, hot air won't have anywhere to go

stokerfire

Post by stokerfire » Fri. Jan. 13, 2012 2:56 pm

I think I understand that with no outlet for stove to breath with it being tied into the oil furnce cold air return and using the fan of the furnace to disribute the hot air of the coal stove to the upstairs and with the bacement door closed the coal stove can't breath?If that's the case then should I put vents in the floors of the upstairs for the coal stove to breath or would just one large return in the basement door be enough?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Jan. 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Either way, as long as the cooler air can circulate back down.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”