Power Vent With Piping

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 8:23 am

I will hooking up my Keystoker back with the Power vent with some piping (See dwg).
The wall already had an outlet for a floor gas furnance stove (being removed) but it up close to the ceiling. I will put insulation board above the pipe and anywhere it be needed.

Q: Will it hurt if the power venter is on the stove and not mounted outside (like a SWG). ?
Since I will have to push the exhaust up and out approx. 8-10'. I don';t really want to put another hole in the wall....if I can help it.

I would have to run another 8-15' to the roof line for a higher type chimney, since there is a room above where the stove will be put.

Anyone see any problems with this setup?

Attachments

Keystoker_piping.jpg
.JPG | 16.1KB | Keystoker_piping.jpg

europachris

Post by europachris » Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 9:10 am

Dave, I assume you're using the Keystoker powervent, right? I'm running something very similar.
Dsc03475.jpg

Test fitting the venting

.JPG | 164.7KB | Dsc03475.jpg
Dsc03508.jpg

Installed

.JPG | 576.5KB | Dsc03508.jpg
DSC03485.JPG

Exterior

.JPG | 154.9KB | DSC03485.JPG
I'm not running up the wall quite as far as you, but basically it's the same setup and it works fabulously. I had to go through 10" of poured concrete with a 5" core bit to get outside, and I'm using Simpson Pellet Vent Pro 4". It's all sealed and/or self sealing, so it's just a matter of locking it together and lighting the fire. It's $$$, but high grade stuff. I didn't want to have to worry about ugly silicone, etc. trying to seal regular vent pipe and I also didn't want to have to worry about clearances. I've yet to get the exterior of the pipe above 100F.

Chris

WNY

Post by WNY » Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 9:24 am

Yes, the Keystoker Power vent that came with the stove. I had unhooked it to use with my chimney and it worked good.

Exactly what I want to do. I didn't measure, but might be 7-8 feet? But bascially same setup. :)

Thanks!

europachris

Post by europachris » Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 9:50 am

Yeah, you'll be just fine with that setup. I run with 0.02 draft with the combustion blower 1/2 covered and the power vent running at about 75% on the rheostat. If I close the combustion blower a little and crank up the DV blower, I can get 0.05 or more, easy.

Make sure you put a Tee at the bottom so you can vacuum out the fly ash. I'm amazed at how quickly fly ash builds up everywhere in the stove and venting, and I've only been though maybe 200# of coal.

The nice UPS man dropped off my selection of brushes from McMaster-Carr yesterday - a 4" round brush with 48" fiberglass extension rod, and a couple of 30" and 36" radiator long radiator brushes, 1-1/4" and 2" diameter to get in the direct vent unit and up into the heat exchanger area.

Chris

WNY

Post by WNY » Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 7:35 pm

Thanks for tip, I will put a TEE (s) in for cleaning...a friend is getting me some pipe.... :)
I only had the stock 3 feet of pipe from our other house setup, just straight thru the outside wall. :)

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”