Co Detector Help

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Fri. Nov. 16, 2007 9:44 pm

coalkirk wrote:FYI, the Kidde company makes the Nighthawk. There was a problem with some of them about 2 years ago. They would kill the battery in about 5-6 weeks and then they would chirp, usually about 3:30 in the morning. The digital display would show "Lb" which stood for low battery. I replaced batteries about 3 times and the same thing happened. I called kidde, they asked for the serial numbers of the units (I had 3) and they sent me 3 new units for free.
Thanks coal kirk,

I have one of them that does that exact thing, I will call and have it replaced.

Now that you mention it, it was the First Alert brand that was so bad about false alarms. Not the Kidde!

MY ERROR, Sorry!

BK

Rex

Post by Rex » Fri. Nov. 16, 2007 10:09 pm

I run the Model Co900 made by American Sensors. Their mode CO920 was Voted #1 in the 2006 Consumer Magazine.

I do like the idea of an display.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Nov. 16, 2007 10:26 pm

bksaun wrote:
coalkirk wrote:FYI, the Kidde company makes the Nighthawk. There was a problem with some of them about 2 years ago. They would kill the battery in about 5-6 weeks and then they would chirp, usually about 3:30 in the morning. The digital display would show "Lb" which stood for low battery. I replaced batteries about 3 times and the same thing happened. I called kidde, they asked for the serial numbers of the units (I had 3) and they sent me 3 new units for free.
Thanks coal kirk,

I have one of them that does that exact thing, I will call and have it replaced.

Now that you mention it, it was the First Alert brand that was so bad about false alarms. Not the Kidde!

MY ERROR, Sorry!

BK
Hey BK The Two that failed for me two weeks ago was also First Alert The 3 kidde went off

shortcut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Brunco

Post by shortcut » Sat. Dec. 01, 2007 11:47 pm

so in essence a nighthawk is the best unit to purchase? I currently have an american sensors CO910 it never seems to detect anything display is always dashes even with fireplace doors open and basement full of smoke.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Mon. Dec. 03, 2007 2:05 pm

I have a digital one 10 feet from all sources of CO - the boiler, backup furnace, and backup water heater. I look at it every time I empty the ash pan, which is once a day. It has a memory also. Anything more than "00" is alarming if you ask me. I have cheaper non digital ones (but brand new) on every floor. Smoke detectors should be in every room. K-Mart sells smoke detectors for $5 each so there is no excuse. I'm not a code Nazi by any means but if something is smoking/burning I want to know about it.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Dec. 03, 2007 2:24 pm

There are some code things that I think are not all that important, but, when it comes to smoke alarms and co detectors, the more the better. Code in my area is finally changing to require co detectors in new homes. Hardwired smokes with battery backup have been required for awhile.
I've got an older home that's exempt from all those codes but I've got electric with battery backup co dectors on each level, including about 6' from my coal boiler. I've got electric with battery backup smoke detectors in each bedroom and in several other rooms on each level. These area all wired together so that if one goes off, they all go off. Overkill? Not if there is a fire.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Mon. Dec. 03, 2007 4:31 pm

The hardwired ones that are all hooked together are the way to go. I went with the easier battery powered units but someday when I remodel I'm going to install a whole house system.

cheapheat

Post by cheapheat » Mon. Dec. 03, 2007 4:34 pm

Hello everyone, does any company make a co detector that would alert the neighbors if it were going off? If there were ever a problem when I was at work I would hate to come home to 2 dead dogs. Jim

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Dec. 03, 2007 6:02 pm

cheapheat wrote:Hello everyone, does any company make a co detector that would alert the neighbors if it were going off? If there were ever a problem when I was at work I would hate to come home to 2 dead dogs. Jim
Look for a commercial remote monitoring device. You could get a cheap one to do what you want, a few more bucks and it could call you at the office, cell, neighbors or local Fire Dept.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Dec. 03, 2007 7:17 pm

cheapheat wrote:Hello everyone, does any company make a co detector that would alert the neighbors if it were going off? If there were ever a problem when I was at work I would hate to come home to 2 dead dogs. Jim
You can get that feature with a security system.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”