Stove Pipe Install

turbine
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hand fed coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut , stove
Other Heating: heat pump

Post by turbine » Tue. Dec. 20, 2011 9:24 pm

I bought a new Harman TLC 2000 to replace all wood stove. I bought the thicker 22Ga. pipe. Thus far the plan will be to use a moderate amount of wood also since coal is 100 miles. I want to have the pipe at a 45 angle with an adjustable elbow at each end. This will allow a shorter run of pipe, and keeps the smoke moving upward without a sharp 90 degree turn for the smoke. I have never seen this done before. Is there a mistake in my future. Thanks for input!!

Attachments

stove pipe.jpg
.JPG | 71.2KB | stove pipe.jpg

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Tue. Dec. 20, 2011 9:27 pm

that will work just fine :)

the male ends facing down?

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Dec. 20, 2011 9:31 pm

My 2 cents, I don't care for the adjustable elbows, not much holding them together, at least the ones I have seen. A small boom could take them apart. But I'm no expert..

turbine

Post by turbine » Tue. Dec. 20, 2011 9:42 pm

I have the pipe correct for creosote "drain back". The adjustable elbows are another thought . I have been all wood guy 'til now. Does flash , or puff happen often. I may get solid type adjustables. Thanks!!!

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Dec. 20, 2011 9:47 pm

I know there is a few guys who have had there pipes blown apart, one just the other day and he was not home when it happened.

turbine

Post by turbine » Tue. Dec. 20, 2011 10:59 pm

That is a concern for sure. Any way to make elbows more secure aside from screws at the connection end. How often do you get a volatiles pop- anthracite? :?

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Dec. 20, 2011 11:16 pm

turbine wrote:That is a concern for sure. Any way to make elbows more secure aside from screws at the connection end. How often do you get a volatiles pop- anthracite? :?
You should not get any if your starting the fire the right way, however it happens.. and yes, your pipes should be screwed together..

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Dec. 20, 2011 11:58 pm

grumpy wrote:I know there is a few guys who have had there pipes blown apart,.
The elbow itself or the connection? Never heard of an elbow blowing apart. Just make sure you have at least three screws at each connection, it's properly seated in the thimble & stove and longer lengths are supported well.
turbine wrote:I have the pipe correct for creosote "drain back".
I understand the reason for doing this with wood but with coal installation you can install with the male end going up which is small preventive measure to keep flue gases inside the pipe.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Wed. Dec. 21, 2011 12:07 am

I never bought into the drain back thing, if you have so much that it's draining back your doing something wrong, IMHO, even if I would rather it leak out so I know it's there..

turbine

Post by turbine » Wed. Dec. 21, 2011 12:45 am

The elbow adjustable sections are my concern for coming apart. :| All ends will be screwed together. Thanks to all!! :)

turbine

Post by turbine » Wed. Dec. 21, 2011 8:54 pm

I found a place on line that has one piece corrugated elbows 90 deg. or 45 deg. :o Red Hill General Store, if someone has an odd project like mine.

:D Thanks to all for the kindly input!! :D

MURDOC1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3 Top Flue

Post by MURDOC1 » Thu. Dec. 22, 2011 9:02 am

[quote="turbine"]I found a place on line that has one piece corrugated elbows 90 deg. or 45 deg. :o Red Hill General Store, if someone has an odd project like mine.

If you prefer fully welded seam elbows that resemble a traditional adjustable sectional elbow as opposed to the corrugated ones that look like an accordion, have a look at Olympia Chimney Supply... They are 22 gauge and do not smoke or smell at all during the initial fire...

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”