CO Detector With Ability to Shut Off Power

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Mon. Nov. 28, 2011 9:58 am

I've asked about this in the past and still can't find anything commercially available. I'd like to have a CO detector that would allow for shutting down power to a device, in this case the stoker motor on a coal stove. I know I can rig something up using a latching relay, but I'd prefer to buy something already built. Any ideas?

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Nov. 28, 2011 10:09 am

Jim D. builds all his stoves with that very feature.

http://www.coaljack.com/home/?page_id=50

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Nov. 28, 2011 10:19 am

I install one on each floor to shut off the power of the blower venting air around the Vig.
S-TECH, PS-001N
stech.com

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Mon. Nov. 28, 2011 10:32 am

nortcan wrote:I install one on each floor to shut off the power of the blower venting air around the Vig.
S-TECH, PS-001N
stech.com
Thanks..that has relay contacts, but what do you use for the actual power shutoff module?

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Nov. 28, 2011 11:24 am

av8r wrote:
nortcan wrote:I install one on each floor to shut off the power of the blower venting air around the Vig.
S-TECH, PS-001N
stech.com
Thanks..that has relay contacts, but what do you use for the actual power shutoff module?
I have a power box and the blower is plug in it.
The relay is 12V,and I have a transfo 120V to 12 V placed in a regular electric 120V box with fem.120V plugs. Sorry for my poor translation.
In fact it's is in a gegular 120V outlet box. A plug cord get out of that box and connect to the power. The blower is connected to that outlet. From the relay wires run to the Co alarm. If Co is detected, alarms sound and the blower stops.
Easy to understand for you??????????????? if not I can ask a friend better words.

Attachments

DSC03964.JPG
.JPG | 99.5KB | DSC03964.JPG
DSC03966.JPG
.JPG | 105.9KB | DSC03966.JPG
DSC03960.JPG
.JPG | 57.4KB | DSC03960.JPG

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 28, 2011 12:43 pm

Yes, in one of the old threads, the guy at CoalJack was offering them to the public, they are standard with their stoves.

I believe you can get them for Boats and RV's too, to shut off the generators if CO is present. Just have to wire them up a bit differently or may need a transformer (12V or 24V) They have many different ones available.

Coaljack C.O. Detector

av8r

Post by av8r » Mon. Nov. 28, 2011 6:26 pm

nortcan wrote:
av8r wrote: Thanks..that has relay contacts, but what do you use for the actual power shutoff module?
I have a power box and the blower is plug in it.
The relay is 12V,and I have a transfo 120V to 12 V placed in a regular electric 120V box with fem.120V plugs. Sorry for my poor translation.
In fact it's is in a gegular 120V outlet box. A plug cord get out of that box and connect to the power. The blower is connected to that outlet. From the relay wires run to the Co alarm. If Co is detected, alarms sound and the blower stops.
Easy to understand for you??????????????? if not I can ask a friend better words.
So the relay is in the silver electrical box?

thanks

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Nov. 28, 2011 6:59 pm

Yes the relay is in it.
The power arrives at the white outlet, the silver box(connected to the white power outlet box) with the relay brings the power to one outlet for the transfo at the bottom and the other to the motor.

Attachments

DSC03967.JPG
.JPG | 104.7KB | DSC03967.JPG

av8r

Post by av8r » Tue. Nov. 29, 2011 1:24 pm

nortcan wrote:Yes the relay is in it.
The power arrives at the white outlet, the silver box(connected to the white power outlet box) with the relay brings the power to one outlet for the transfo at the bottom and the other to the motor.
Thanks

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Nov. 29, 2011 3:28 pm

Posted this earlier in your other thread...but neither is this a Plug N Play solution.
When this relay is combined w/ a Interconnected Detector it will switch whatever you connect to it.
McGiever wrote:For others who may not be looking for a "plug-n-play" solution:

Carbon Monoxide Alarm Relay Module

This relay will only activate when it receives a CO signal from an interconnected Carbon Monoxide Alarm.

This is the detector which is compatible w/ the relay:

Kidde-KN-COSM-IB-Hardwire-Combination-Interconnectable
Last edited by McGiever on Tue. Nov. 29, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

av8r

Post by av8r » Tue. Nov. 29, 2011 7:51 pm

McGiever wrote:Posted this earlier in your other thread...but neither is this a Plug N Play solution.
When this relay is combined w/ a Interconnected Detector it will switch whatever you connect to it.

Need a Combustion Gas Shut Off
Thank you

mariohotshot

Post by mariohotshot » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 6:09 pm

I like this idea. I just don't understand the hookup. Can someone please give more specific details on how to hook this up? Would an exhaust fan also help if it were connected to a CO detector? Thanks in advance!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 7:54 pm

hook up is: The relay gets signal from alarm and then relay switches off stoker burner.

I would be hesitant to have a CO alarm relay start an exhaust fan...it is possible the fan would worsen the CO levels depending on what caused the alarm in the first place.

mariohotshot

Post by mariohotshot » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks, but more specific in voltage connections. 120V feeding the stove is interuppted by the relay which is triggered by the co detector. I assume the relay is 12v? It needs a transformer. The alarm is only sending a signal to the relay which in turn opens the feeding circuit? Correct? A diagram would be great!

mariohotshot

Post by mariohotshot » Wed. Oct. 30, 2013 6:27 pm

I figured it out. Once I get it put together, I'll post some photos and some wire diagrams to share. No it does not cost $300 to build!

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”