CO Detector With Ability to Shut Off Power

mariohotshot

Post by mariohotshot » Wed. Oct. 30, 2013 6:32 pm

av8r wrote:
nortcan wrote:If Co is detected, alarms sound and the blower stops.
I'm curious, which blower is shutting down? Shouldn't the whole furnace shut down?

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Oct. 30, 2013 9:38 pm

The Co detector shut off the blower located in the basement wich is connected to a duct arriving at the back of the stove , about 7 Ft H in the faux-foyer.
This blower works only for removing warm air from the faux-foyer and send it to the basement where the office is located. A very small part of the heat goes to the small living room. The blower is a big one but runs at a very low RPM to reduce the noise and the motor is outside of the blower's cage for the same reason.
The central electric air Handler works 24/24 at a low RPM, just to mix the air on the 3 floors. The temp. doesn't vary more than one degre in all the house/rooms.

mariohotshot

Post by mariohotshot » Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 10:36 pm

Here is the basic: A 120v BRK interconnectable CO detector with a BRK relay (RM4) rated at 15A, 1/3 HP triggering the NC contact to open. You can also use Kiddie brand, but their relay contacts are rated at 10A.
This is an option: You can use both contacts (NO/NC) connected to an outlet, one will open while the other closes. You will have to break the hot side tab on the outlet that connectes them together so they can work independantly. This can deactivate the stove while activating another item (an exhaust fan, garage door, lights).
Last edited by mariohotshot on Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Good job there MHS 8-)

mariohotshot

Post by mariohotshot » Thu. Dec. 12, 2013 6:56 pm

This is my set up. It cost about $125 to put together. A hard wired/battery back up CO detector with display controling an outlet in two ways: opening a closed circuit while closing an open circuit. In other words, when the CO detector is activated, it will shut down the coal stove while energizing an auxillary device (exhaust fan, lights, additional sirens, etc.)
I can build these for $200 for anyone here. This includes the shipping! The CO detector and relay will come with a 7 year warranty from the manufacturer. Email me directly if interested.

Attachments

stove 482.JPG

CO detector with ability to shut off power and turn on other devices

.JPG | 151.8KB | stove 482.JPG

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Wed. Jan. 08, 2014 5:49 pm

mariohotshot wrote:This is my set up. It cost about $125 to put together. A hard wired/battery back up CO detector with display controling an outlet in two ways: opening a closed circuit while closing an open circuit. In other words, when the CO detector is activated, it will shut down the coal stove while energizing an auxillary device (exhaust fan, lights, additional sirens, etc.)
I can build these for $200 for anyone here. This includes the shipping! The CO detector and relay will come with a 7 year warranty from the manufacturer. Email me directly if interested.
Nice work!

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Fri. Sep. 05, 2014 10:22 am

I have the parts and will be building a few of these...if anyone may want one send me a PM.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 16, 2014 10:31 pm

McGiever wrote:I have the parts and will be building a few of these...if anyone may want one send me a PM.
^^^ BUMP ^^^

Shuts off the stove power if CO alarm goes off.

Can save your pets when left alone while the coal stove runs.

Works equally well with wood pellet stoves.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”