Liner and Cap

ValterBorges

Post by ValterBorges » Sat. Nov. 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Anyone here interested on doing chimney liner and cap, in Portland ct.

watkinsdr
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S260 Boiler

Post by watkinsdr » Sat. Nov. 19, 2011 1:46 pm

I had a sheister convince me I needed a insulated chimney liner with 6" stainless insert. Huge mistake. I'd never, ever, do it again.

I wish I still had my tile lined masonary flue; which, pulled like a freight train. It will cost me huge money to undue what has been done...

The cap however is a great idea. Highly recommended.

Proceed with caution.

ValterBorges

Post by ValterBorges » Sat. Nov. 19, 2011 3:12 pm

Good to know. Can you expand on the difference.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sat. Nov. 19, 2011 3:35 pm

If you've got a masonry chimney lined or unlined in halfway decent condition - don't waste money and reduce it's safety by lining it with stainless.

Do I Need a Stainless Steel Liner for My Chimney?

watkinsdr
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S260 Boiler

Post by watkinsdr » Sat. Nov. 19, 2011 4:07 pm

Hey Valter:

About 10 years ago I got the bright idea to put a wood stove in my basement. Turns out, being a completely clueless wood burner, I had a minor chimney fire and didn't even know it; which, apparently damaged my tile lined masonary chimney flue (~30 feet tall). When I installed the Keystoker Koker 5 years ago, the guy who did the installation claimed I had a defective flue (due to the minor chimney fire) and the best way to rectify the problem would be installing a insulated 6" stainless steel (SS) liner (part of his business). My home insurance policy covered the installation; and, all was well---or so I thought...

Turns out burning the Koker only during the heating months left corrosive fly ash residue in the SS flue; combined with, moisture during the summer, now I have a major league corrosion problem. To add insult to injury---the 6" flue which worked great with the Koker, and worked great with the S130 too, now doesn't work with the S260 at all. I simply don't have enough draft while the S260 fan is running. I'm OK at all other times; but, when the S260 fan is running I'm getting CO blown past the type M baro because I don't have enough capacity exhausting into the 6" flue... And I'm really getting pissed... And I've tried everything... And the AHS website claims the S260 will work with a 6" flue... This is B.S. I've asked for help from AHS. They've never returned my e-mails...

Proceed with caution. If you move forward with this endeavour with your S260, go with an 8" solution; and, only if you're burning year 'round.

ValterBorges

Post by ValterBorges » Sat. Nov. 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Thanks for advice.

Mother in law lives in Portland, ct. Im in Berlin, Ct.

Im on 30ft masonry and my 6" goes into chimney, draft is .04 with the Baro.

I was asking for her house she has loose brick from squirrels, no cap, and is running oil boiler.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sat. Nov. 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Valter, I've seen stainless fail on oil heating chimneys as well. I wouldn't throw a stainless liner on an oil chimney for a few loose bricks.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 20, 2011 6:24 am

Valter, any competent mason should be able to fix the loose bricks and get the chimney back in proper condition. A slate or stone cap would also be a nice touch.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”