Flue Pipe Gauge?

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Sun. Nov. 06, 2011 9:01 am

Hello all,

Posted this in the hand fired forum, but then figured it may be better over here. Sorry for the double post ;).

Getting ready to light the coal furnace this weekend and would like to replace the flue pipe. Not sure on the age/condition of the pipe, but wanted to take it apart and clean anyway. Figured I'd replace while I'm at it .

Anyway, local store sold me galvanized pipe (8"; 26 gauge or so I believe). The elbows purchased were mistakenly 9", and the only others I can find on the weekend are 30 gauge from Lowe's. Everyone is sold out of the black elbows in 8" ...

So, is this stuff too thin to use with coal? As far as the galvanizing goes, I've read different stories on the pipe and zinc fumes, but the concensus seemed to be that it will only occur if really hot (and only burn off once). Thoughts?

Thanks guys,

Joe

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Nov. 06, 2011 9:07 am

You'll probably get the same suggestions no matter where you put it. ;) I also would go with black pipe--it's what it's made for--galvanized is fine on oil/gas set ups. I would never use it on coal/ wood set ups. Just one old guys thoughts. :)

MURDOC1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3 Top Flue

Post by MURDOC1 » Sun. Nov. 06, 2011 9:41 am

Yup, I'm with Old Fred there on this one... Consider replacing with Ventis Single Wall black stove pipe from Olympia Chimney Supply out of Scranton Pa... Olympiachimney.com , 22 gauge fully welded seam, stuff is dy-no-mite!!! Last a lifetime with proper maintenance... Looks good too!!! Gotta buy it through a dealer though, don't sell direct to the public...

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Sun. Nov. 06, 2011 2:43 pm

Helllo again,

Thanks for the advice guys. I may just stick with whats already installed for now. I have no idea how old it is. It was through at least one flood that I know of, but it isn't rusted apart or anything (some surface rust in a spot or two, but I used it for 3-4 months last winter with no problems). It's a natural color, not black (maybe was galvanized originally, don't know). No idea of the gauge on the current stuff.

Those are my options for now I guess, because I really need to get it lit today and the galvanized is all I have on hand...

Thanks,

Joe

bja105
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: Bit

Post by bja105 » Sun. Nov. 06, 2011 4:56 pm

30 gauge is duct work. Not even heavy enough for gas or oil.

I'm also told that the 'pickling' on the galvanized burns off a toxic fume at solid fuel temps.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Nov. 06, 2011 8:59 pm

jschaefer7406 wrote:Those are my options for now I guess, because I really need to get it lit today and the galvanized is all I have on hand.
Galvanized is fine. It was originally developed for coal burning. Every old coal burning boiler or furnace I have seen had galvanized pipe.It's a better product at a cheaper price and easier to work. It will also last much longer.

If you have stack temperatures high enough to vaporize zinc, then the problem is your stove and not the pipe.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Nov. 06, 2011 9:11 pm

When in doubt 22 gauge black pipe will work just fine is stainless is out of the question. Either way both will ne
ed replacement at some time.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”