Anyone Remotely Monitoring Boiler Temp, Etc.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Nov. 01, 2011 8:54 pm

I see the 732 model is a single probe unit though. It would be nice to have the double probes.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Nov. 01, 2011 9:15 pm

coalkirk wrote:I see the 732 model is a single probe unit though. It would be nice to have the double probes.
It says...Both probe wires are heat resistant to 716 F

You Tube...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUk8-AHa4tQ&featu ... r_embedded#!

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Thu. Nov. 03, 2011 3:00 pm

I use the maverick 73 and have for 4-5 years and never had any trouble getting

the signal about 20' away and thru two wood floors. Sometimes it will lose the

signal but always comes back in a few minutes. I wouldn't put the probe in the

flue because on start-up you will burn it up, I just tape it to the stove pipe with

foil tape and replace the tape every few years.

BigBarney

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Nov. 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Picked up the Maverick wireless remote today. Here's a pic of the receiver.
remote temp (2).jpg
.JPG | 26.5KB | remote temp (2).jpg
Cold here tonight but currently only a 2 degree differential between coal boiler supply and return water. I'm anxious to watch the fluctuations with demand on the boiler. Boiler is in the basement, receiver is in the second floor at the opposite end of my home, line of site blocked by lots of different building materials. Signal is great.
I bought it at a BBQ specialty shop about 45 minutes away from me. http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/
They popped up high on my Google search for this unit. They apparently have a brisk mail order business for this unit. Today as I checked out with it, the person at the counter asked me if I was a vet. Luckily I am and as it was vets day, she gave me a 10% discount. :)

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Nov. 14, 2011 8:40 pm

Ok so it's all fun and games until the receiver loses communication with the transmitter. Then it beeps... once a second until it re-establishes contact. That wouldn't be sooo bad if it wasn't on the night stand next to your head at 4:00 am. (see this thread ( Admit Your Addiction? ) :oops: So no more bedside monitoring for me.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Nov. 22, 2011 7:09 pm

I knew right away I would need something to monitor temps. Especially when loading coal - I leave the ash pan door open to ignite the fresh coal. Left unattended for any amount of time this could be catastrophic! I secured the BBQ probe with magnets to the flue pipe about 2 feet from exiting the stove. Then the meat probe is actually inside my warm air duct so I can monitor the air flowing thru the duct into my rooms.

This is the Redi - Chek Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set. Its the newest version. The probes are suppose to be able to handle 716 degrees but max monitor temp is a little over 500. The remote displays both probe temps up to 300 feet from the transmitter. It has dual alarms. I set the Hi Temp Pipe alarm at 250 and the low set at 110. The air duct Hi alarm set at 140.

Quite frankly I think anyone that can't sit by their stove while the ash pan door is open should absolutely have one of these. It will even alert me while I'm sleeping if the fire is burning out so I can react. Below is a picture of the transmitter. I take the receiver all over the house with me and have never lost signal. So far I think its the coolest thing since sliced bread! Above this post is a pic receiver.

Best $60 bucks I've spent so far!!

Attachments

IMG_8358.JPG
.JPG | 137.5KB | IMG_8358.JPG

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Nov. 22, 2011 7:33 pm

Nice. Having a girly man boiler I don't have to worry about leaving the ash door open. But I've already thought I would like to also monitor flue gas temperature too. My wife would shoot me if I bought another one. :lol:

I was looking at your photo. It looks like you have a 6" vent pipe going into an 8" thimble without any transition? Or is it out of view?

EDIT: Never mind. I just saw in another thread that you are using single wall pipe only for now.
Last edited by coalkirk on Tue. Nov. 22, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Tue. Nov. 22, 2011 7:36 pm

lightning,

will it monitor and recieve thru the block/stone walls outside into a block garage wall 100' away. thanks Dennis

qbwebb

Post by qbwebb » Tue. Nov. 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Just Picked up a remote wireless cam.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VL2VRO/ref=o ... 00_details

Its very slick, set up right it can pan to the P/T gauge & over to the hopper, all in the dark! It also has an internal temp gauge that tells me how warm the boiler shed is. Now all I have to do is convince my wife I need this for boiler monitoring and let me buy another one for when our first baby arrives in Jan.

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Nov. 23, 2011 6:11 am

Come on, your boiler is your baby. If your baby arriving in January has a problem, he or she will cry and let you know. :lol:
All kidding aside, congratulations on the soon to be new baby. It will really change you life and your perspective on life. I know it did mine.

I'd love to see that camera in action. Can you post a pic or two or video? Thanks.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Nov. 23, 2011 12:06 pm

Here's a yuppie version. Complete with wine-sipping actors too. :lol:

Kenbod

Post by Kenbod » Wed. Nov. 23, 2011 5:20 pm

tekmar 256 outdoor reset boiler control

I've posted on this before: it's pricey but it will pay for itself. This unit replaces your aquastat to control your boiler temps. It has an outside temperature probe and a boiler temp probe. It continually adjusts the temperature (to your specifications or the default programming) as the weather changes. You do need to run thermostat wire outside and to the boiler, but the control unit itself can be wherever you want to put it- on the boiler or in your living room. You get realtime out door temps, boiler water temp, and intended target temp. And you could reprogram it at the same time (if you ever wanted to).

creek44
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by creek44 » Wed. Nov. 23, 2011 10:19 pm

My solution to remotely monitoring the water temp of my Heatmor outdoor wood burner was to purchase the following temperature display/control from Dwyer. It is hard wired with a cat. 5 cable from a probe located at the furnace to the display/control that I have located on a wall in my home. I have the control programmed and wired to sound an alarm if the water temp drops below 100 deg F. A switch disables the alarm. The length of cat. 5 is approximately 100ft. It has been accurately and reliably monitoring since 2006 when I installed it. I plan to monitor the temperature of my EFM 520 with this when I complete the installation.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/PDF_files/TS2.d.pdf

Attachments

100_6796.JPG
.JPG | 81.9KB | 100_6796.JPG

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Nov. 24, 2011 6:15 am

creek44 wrote:My solution to remotely monitoring the water temp of my Heatmor outdoor wood burner was to purchase the following temperature display/control from Dwyer. It is hard wired with a cat. 5 cable from a probe located at the furnace to the display/control that I have located on a wall in my home. I have the control programmed and wired to sound an alarm if the water temp drops below 100 deg F. A switch disables the alarm. The length of cat. 5 is approximately 100ft. It has been accurately and reliably monitoring since 2006 when I installed it. I plan to monitor the temperature of my EFM 520 with this when I complete the installation.

How does the temperature probe get installed. Does it go into an immersion well?

creek44
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by creek44 » Thu. Nov. 24, 2011 10:06 am

lsayre wrote:
creek44 wrote:My solution to remotely monitoring the water temp of my Heatmor outdoor wood burner was to purchase the following temperature display/control from Dwyer. It is hard wired with a cat. 5 cable from a probe located at the furnace to the display/control that I have located on a wall in my home. I have the control programmed and wired to sound an alarm if the water temp drops below 100 deg F. A switch disables the alarm. The length of cat. 5 is approximately 100ft. It has been accurately and reliably monitoring since 2006 when I installed it. I plan to monitor the temperature of my EFM 520 with this when I complete the installation.

How does the temperature probe get installed. Does it go into an immersion well?
Below is the link to the accessories page for the Dwyer (Love) Model TS-2 Digital Temperature Switch. You will find the appropriate probe and thermowell there. I am using the TS-W Thermowell and a TS-5 probe.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/PDF_files/274.pdf

The total catalog price for the Digital Temperature Switch, Thermowell, and probe is $63. You can't beat that for a quality instrument that you can depend on. I installed it for less than $75. When I installed my Heatmor, I buried a PVC conduit along with the plumbing for future monitoring/control needs. Hard wiring makes this a rock solid reliable unit. The down side would be lack of portability, but I did not feel that portability was necessary for my requirements.

Below is a link to the TS-2 manual. It appears that a distance from the probe to the instrument of 300ft. or more is possible. Many possibilities exist with this monitor/control. Can you tell that I like it?

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/PDF_files/T_TS2.pdf

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”