***Shuts Down Your Stove If Flue Gases Backup***

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Carbon MonOxide Detectors are 'swell' if you are home to hear them. But, who will shut down the stove when your not home?

This device needs to made know here in "Venting, Plumbing, Chimneys, Controls, and Coal Bins"

Fields WMO-1 Detects Blocked Flue

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 2:10 pm

A very good idea for about $ 86.00 dollars.

http://www.partsguy.com/cgi-bin/PartsGuy/WMO-1.html

But, better yet, try this combination unit on your oil-fired furnace/boiler for safety and additional fuel savings.

http://www.hvacwebconnection.com/Products/oilventdamper.htm
Last edited by EarthWindandFire on Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 5:29 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:A very good idea for about $ 86.00 dollars.

http://www.partsguy.com/cgi-bin/PartsGuy/WMO-1.html

But, better yet, try this combination unit for safety and additional fuel savings.

http://www.hvacwebconnection.com/Products/oilventdamper.htm
That second link will not work for a coal stove as even when there is no call for heat there is still coal burning. An oil furnace shuts off not a coal stove. DO NOT use this on a coal stove.

Eric

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Your best bet is to have it interlocked with the whole stove (stoker and combustion blower), so it can't feed anymore, or add any more blower air to the fire. It will die out pretty quick.

Thats the same flue switch on my Keystoker Direct Vent.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 6:04 pm

I apologize, I should have been more clear with my post. That unit is NOT for coal stoves, but I have an oil-fired hot air furnace and that unit would work great for me.

MURDOC1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3 Top Flue

Post by MURDOC1 » Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 7:58 pm

McGiever wrote:Carbon MonOxide Detectors are 'swell' if you are home to hear them. But, who will shut down the stove when your not home?

This device needs to made know here in "Venting, Plumbing, Chimneys, Controls, and Coal Bins"

Fields WMO-1 Detects Blocked Flue
McGiever is spot-on here with this post and all should have a look at it...

I will detail my setup on the old Alaska having a WMO-1 in operation...
IMG_0289.jpg

Field Controls WMO-1 200 degree fume switch

.JPG | 101.5KB | IMG_0289.jpg
IMG_0290.jpg

Broader view of WMO-1 mounted through side wall of stove

.JPG | 138KB | IMG_0290.jpg
IMG_0293.jpg

This switch supplies 120VAC to/through the N/C contact of the WMO-1

.JPG | 143.6KB | IMG_0293.jpg
IMG_0291.jpg

120VAC goes through N/C contact of WMO-1 then to this bottom outlet that supplies the Coal-trol with juice which in turn powers the combustion blower, stoker feeder and distribution blower...

.JPG | 136.4KB | IMG_0291.jpg
I run this stove on a Field Controls SWG-4HDS power vent and if it were to fail the stove now has no way to evacuate the gasses in the fire box... In an event like this the firebox temp would rise quickly and with no place for the gasses to go they would find their way to the WMO-1 which has a hollow tube that protrudes into the firebox and is open-ended at the switch side... Once the hot gasses pass through the hollow tube they will heat up the switch which is made to "break" at 200 degrees F... When the switch breaks it cuts power from in my case the Coal-trol control module (shutting down combustion blower, stoker feeder gear motor and distribution blower) or whatever you have plugged in to the WMO-1 setup... Very important and a must have for power vent users, and ultimately makes the use of a power vent a much better option than a natural draft chimney, at least in my opinion that is...
IMG_0294.jpg

This switch supplies power to the power vent... Power vent should be on its own branch and NOT powered by the WMO-1...

.JPG | 142.9KB | IMG_0294.jpg
IMG_0292.jpg

Now you see that the power vent is not powered by the WMO-1, it is on its own circuit as it should be...

.JPG | 155.3KB | IMG_0292.jpg
Now think the other way around... Lets say that your power vent is working fine but it takes on a heavy sustained head wind and the gust over powers the venter causing a lack of draft on the stove... The WMO-1 will shut down the stove once again, but, your venter will continue to run because it is powered from a separate outlet and NOT from the WMO-1... With the venter still able to run it will continue to exhaust the stove as the burning bed of coal dies out...

Hope that makes sense???

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”