Installing Single Wall Chimney for Coal Stove?

dolphinman

Post by dolphinman » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 8:47 pm

I'm new at this coal stove business. I've had people tell me for my chimney that I can use 24 gauge single wall black pipe. I'm actually considering it if it is safe to use? It would run from the bottom of my stoker stove II about 4 foot then an elbow to run up the outside of my house to above the roof - 20 foot. Is this safe to use for the first heating season? :?:

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 9:10 pm

Yes, I believe black pipe is preferred and galvanized is a no-no with coal. But only to connect the stove to a suitable chimney. I strongly advise you against using it for your entire chimney, it will perform poorly. You should use a masonry chimney or class A metal.
If you use stovepipe for a chimney, it will not be to code and your insurance company will drop you if they find out.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 10:11 pm

whats wrong with galvanized? I used galvanized pipe to connect the stove to the thimble in the chimney because that is what I had. I guess if it burns a hole in it then I'll buy black pipe as replacement.

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 10:16 pm

No you can only use single wall piipe inside you home. Even when you go thru the side of your home, provided the wall isn't masonary you will need to use double wall pipe. If you are going with metal make sure you buy 316L ( the L on the end of the 316 is important it stands for low carbon and will give 3 times the life of plain 316 stainless)stainless steel anything elese is a waste of time and money. In the long run however a masonary chimney is your best bet it will last a lifetime as even with the best stainless 30 yrs is about tops. As coaldsweat said if you use single wall for the chimney and there is a fire you will not be covered. You may also be able to use a power venter on that stove depending on the location you have selected in your home. Make sure you follow the manufacturers instruction for clearances to combustibles for both the pipe and the stove. I tend to play it safe and I hav had my insurance company review and approve the installation of my stove. My company doesn't charge extra for the stoker as they only up the rates for a wood stove but that varies from company to company

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Oct. 30, 2007 7:38 am

e.alleg wrote:whats wrong with galvanized? I used galvanized pipe to connect the stove to the thimble in the chimney because that is what I had. I guess if it burns a hole in it then I'll buy black pipe as replacement.
I have galvanized in my stack too, because I had it. You should not use it with coal, not sure why but I think it was in the A-A or EFM manual. I know from welding, if galvanized is overheated it can produce a fairly toxic gas.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Tue. Oct. 30, 2007 7:48 am

I have galvanized on my stack in the house. It never exceeds 120*F so not a hazard for off gassing. :badairday:

I believe you have to get it above 500*F to produce fumes, if your stack is that hot... might be an issue :shock:

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Tue. Oct. 30, 2007 10:42 pm

I think it has more to do with a durability issue than anything. Yes if you get galvanized steel upward's of 1000* F you get what hey call Phosgene ( I think that's how it spelled) gas which is extremely toxic. But anyway the sulphuric acid reacts with the galvanize much more quickly than the black pipe.

dolphinman

Post by dolphinman » Tue. Oct. 30, 2007 10:57 pm

We had a power vent given to us from a friend. However, when my wife did some looking up on it from the internet it claimed that the power vent was for a fuel type furnace. The guy that gave it to us had it hooked up to his caol stove on his garage. Would that be safe to use?

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Tue. Oct. 30, 2007 11:12 pm

Hi dolphinman, welcome to the forum. :)

What model power vent is it? If it is a Field Controls SWG 4HD stainless steel model that is OK. You have to remove the sense tube and the damper but it will work OK.

If it is a standard carbon steel unit you should not use it for coal. Although I have a SWG 5HD carbon steel unit that I use in the garage. Since it is bigger (5" VS 4") I figure I have a little safety factor. I would not use this unit for any living space though.

dolphinman

Post by dolphinman » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 9:28 am

The power vent model is a Fields Controls Company Sidewall power venter SWG II 4 HD.
Motor 115 VAC/60HZ
Rating 136 WATTS/1.77AMPS
3000 RPM
Conforms to UL 378 Draft Equipment

Is there a difference between mine and the one you stated would be ok? Would mine still work?

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 9:33 am

I believe yours is not stainless steel, I would not use that for venting in a residence. Take a look at the Leisure Line site:

http://www.leisurelinestoves.com/

The Power Venter on there is the one you should use. My feeling is better safe than sorry, better to spend a few bucks than endanger yourself and family. :)

dolphinman

Post by dolphinman » Thu. Nov. 01, 2007 3:45 pm

You guys have been alot of help and I thank you! My wife was concerned so much so that she did her homework. She called Fields Control and your right matthaus. The Power vent was not stainless steel. model number SWG II- 4HD would have had to have an "S" at the end. She then called the Alaskan CO. and talked with them about installation of a chimney and about the power vent we had. They told her that we could use the power vent we had as long as it was in good and sound condition. As long as it had been taken care of it could last us a year or two. The Alaskan CO. also gave directions on how to install it. Again, Thank you all for all your helpful information. :)

dolphinman

Post by dolphinman » Mon. Nov. 05, 2007 1:51 am

O.k everything is hooked up. Started the Coal stove and seemed to be running great. Only one concern however, Coal seems to be burning back toward hopper. I know thats not right and I don't know what to do about it. I have shut down the coal stove for now. Don't feel to safe with what it's doing. Any suggestions? :?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Nov. 05, 2007 6:02 pm

I'm not sure what you have, but check to make sure you have no chance for air leaks where the hopper attaches. If air is bleeding in near the bottom, it may be drawing the fire to it.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Nov. 05, 2007 9:19 pm

The grate is supposed to be sealed in place. Sometimes you need to lift it up, and using funace cement reinstall it with fresh cement. The air leaking out of the gap supports the coal fire. But way too far up the grate. The first several inches of the grate doesn't have holes; no holes, no air. Unless the grate is leaking and needs resealing.

There was another thread going with smoke out of the hopper, caused by the same thing.

Hope this helps..
Greg L

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”